Computer won't turn on at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer has been working fine for about 8 months since I built it, and then today it randomly shut itself off. I unplugged it and let it rest (assuming the processor was overheating), then tried again and it does nothing. I've also cleaned the processor/heatsink and applied new thermal solution. There's no way for me to actually check the temperature since it won't turn on, but I'm pretty sure overheating is out.

Here's my system:

Albatron K8X800 MB
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor
Geforce MX4000 8x AGP Video card
Powmax 400W power supply
Ultra 512mb DDR

I think those should be the only relevant parts. I assume this must be a power supply issue, or possibly RAM, but I'm poor so I don't want to just go buying parts, and don't have many extras to test with. Any suggestions?

Are you getting any lights on your motherboard? Any fans spinning, or just complete silence?

Just wondering if your PSU has died.

The first time I tried to turn it on, the lights all came on for a split second and immediately shut off. After that, it's totally dead, no lights or anything (besides the light on the MB that comes on whenever the power is connected)

Well you need to check the fuse on your power supply, it might have just got busted. You may also check your motherboard and memory, take note it does not trip off easily unless there is a short circuit.
:)

I know now it's definitely not the fuse. I just tried it again (after cleaning some more and allowing it to sit for awhile) and it came on for a grand total of about 35 seconds, and shut down again before I could even get into the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back