Computers dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have replaced the Power Supply to be a larger one. The mother board is a PC CHIPS M811LU ATX AMD Motherboard. The processor AMD XP Althlon 2000+. The memory is Elixir 256 MB DDR. Nothing happens when I hit the power button. No lights not action nothing. The computer is only about a year old. I have talked to Tech Support for the mother board they thought the Power Supply might be bad. Now I have changed that from a 300 watt to a 420 watt power supply. I am getting the same results.

It could be possible that your power switch or the connection between the power switch and the board could be problematic. You could try to short the two power on pins on the board with a screw driver(flat tip) to rule the button/wire out.

Are you sure the outlet is good, and no breaker blown? Try a lamp, etc if not 100% sure.

All cords plugged in completely?

I'd bet its a bad motherboard. I've yet to see a PCCHIPS motherboard that is worth buying. But I digress, as vnf4ultra has pointed out, your power switch could be faulty. However most motherboards have a power connected LED that should always be lit when power is supplied. If your power supply is properly connected and switched on (most have a power switch on the back looks like [-o] ) and you don't have a green light anywhere, then theres a problem with the motherboard.

It (most likely) is a bad PSU or board. But since you replaced the PSU, that leaves the board.

Also, don't forget about quirky things... The power button might be broken, the cable unplugged... The power supply set to 240v when you need 120v... Who knows. :haha: But double check everything, including the obvious!

The only way it can be the PSU now is the cosmic coincidence that it may be a 2nd bad PSU or installed improperly. Remember, a lot of newer boards have additional power cables than just the 20/24-pin ATX cable. There may be a second 4-6 pin plug if you haven't paid attention to that yet.

mother board

I am returning the motherboard for them to send a new one. The power supply is good we tested it today. I will post when I get the new mother board but so far no luck. The out let has three other computers plugged into it. I also took the computer to the plug my T.V. is hooked up to and it still doesn't work but the power supply does as that is the switch that I tested it off of. Everything was tripple checked as far as where things get plugged in at and that they are securly plugged. Double checked the 120 v that was my first thought as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back