Configuring MySql on EasyPhp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a beginner programmer. I wanted to set up a web server on my Windows PC to help teach myself PHP and MySql. I installed Easy PHP and I ran a test phpinfo.php file which ran properly. However, when I tried to configure MySQL I got a beep and a command line that popped up and disappeared.

I tried typing "C:\Program Files\EasyPHP-5.3.2i\mysql\bin\mysql.exe" -uroot. It beeped and disappeared which I think means I cannot access the MySQL server.

Any advice? Please be very basic in your explanation (I'm a beginner trying to learn)

I ran a test phpinfo.php file which ran properly.
'Properly' must be something like
your personal pc is at some specific LAN address line 192.168.1.3
and with your webserver running (eg: net start apache2)
accessing http://192.168.1.3/phpinfo.php
returns the php config info​

If that's all correct, then your apache2\config\httpd.conf file is correct

Just like Apache (or any other webserver) is a service, MySQL is also a service, so
first, you need to be able to 'net start MySQL' successfully; eg
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\>net start mysql
The MySQL service is starting.
The MySQL service was started successfully.​

Once that works, you couple the webserver to the MySQL by adding the hook for MySQL
in the PHP.INI file by enabling
;extension=php_mysql.dll <<​
(remove the leading ';')

now you can user the PHP interface to MySQL

Error says access denied

Is there some reason I would be denied access to the MySQL server before I've had a chance to configure it. How do I fix that?

did it EVER work or did you EVER configure it when it was first installed?

i've been using the O'Reilly book on PHP and MySQL. I've been going through the Appendix to set it up on a Windows computer. I didn't configure anything I just followed the instructions. My test PHP script, that I wrote, ran out the box but I couldn't access MySQL because it said I didn't have access when I typed into the run window "C:\Program Files\EasyPHP-5.3.2i\mysql\bin\mysql.exe" -uroot. Is there a configuration file that I need to refine and how do I do that? The O'Reilly book is a little dated so their "instructions" may be no good.

Thank you very much for your help. I'm sure its frustrating dealing with somebody who knows so little!

Thank you very much for your help. I'm sure its frustrating dealing with somebody who knows so little!
if there were only experts, then we would have nothing to do ... :grin:

You have three indepentent componets you are installing and managing:
  1. a webserver (btw: which server are you using? Apache, IIS, Xami, Savant ... ? )
  2. php scripting language
  3. and MySql DBMS

Apache has its features managed in conf/httpd.conf
and it has a section to 'hook' the PHP.ini config file

I put my php at C:\PHP and the php.ini is in that directory which controls how php will operate.
(see install but fuss with this AFTER you get MySQL installed properly)

The MySQL is a separate install (mine is at c:\MySQL) and needs a configuration
so that PHP can access it. That access is done using a tcp socket connection to the
MySQL service (and that's where the port number is created).

I suggest you start with a MySQL Intro
MySQL Installation
or go to the site for a complete MySQL download and documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back