Connect all-in-one wired printer to wireless network

Micro Watt

Hi Everyone

I have a HP Officejet 6500A All-in-One Printer which is capable of connecting to the network but has no wireless function. I connected it to my wireless router via RJ-45, and I want to acces it from my laptops via Wireless on the router. At the moment the HP Software can't detect the printer on the network on the laptops and hence, I can't use the scan functionality.

I can, however, use the XP's "Add Printer" function to add the printer, and it prints perfectly. I have no issues on wired computers connected to the same router. The HP software on those computers can detect the printer and I can use all of its functionality.

The laptops are windows XP and the two wired computers are XP and Win 7. The printer and computers are all connected to the same wireless capable router. I tried ping on the laptops and I din't get any timeout error. The firewalls are all disabled.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem. It is a brand new printer

Thanks

this can be done - - WITH CARE.

First issue is to understand what your LAN looks like and what the DHCP range setting is;
  • get a command prompt (start->run->cmd)
  • enter IPCONFIG /ALL
the Gateway address will be that of your router; eg 192.168.x.y
assuming you've not changed the default settings,
the X will be different for the make of your router, but typically it is 0 or 1.
the y is almost always 1, but I've seen a few at 254.

To get your A-I-O on that network (and to keep it there), you need to make sure that
the address of the printer [ the y number ]
is not within the router's DHCP range.
Again with bold assumptions, if the router is at 192.168.0.1, then the DHCP range must be from 2 to xyz. I've also seen it from 100-150, so we need to access the router configuration using your browser.

please follow-up with the make and model number of your router so I can tailor the instructions for you ....

OK thanks,

I have a cheap router. It is a Zioncom ipTime Pro 54G. The ip address of my printer is: 192.168.0.16
My router is at 192.168.0.1
my working desktop is at 192.168.0.4
My Wireless laptops fall under the range of 192.168.0.(something)
I do not understand what you mean by the printer address not being in the DHCP range. (Basically, I'm not sure hat DHCP is)

Also, what do you mean by doing this "with care". What can go wrong. Can I "brick" my printer somehow by trying this or will it just be a "fixable" network confusion (...network problem)

I did the ipconfig as you asked me to, from the wired computer (the one which works properly)

IPCONFIG:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Uvindu>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Uvindu-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : local
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-
TX)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-04-4B-85-39
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e820:1900:d29f:bed4%15(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 30, 2011 3:49:02 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 09, 2011 9:36:55 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 335564804
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-E2-33-5B-00-1E-8C-5E-89-7B

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Ba
se-T Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-8C-5E-89-7B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.local:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:14ff:2284:5758:68f7(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::14ff:2284:5758:68f7%11(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\Uvindu>

Pls tell me what else you need

Thanks A Lot

step one is to disable IPv6
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e820:1900:d29f:bed4%15(Preferred)
google for it and apply the instructions for it
when done, reboot the system.
Also, what do you mean by doing this "with care". What can go wrong.
only the inability to connect - - your current symptom.
I do not understand what you mean by the printer address not being in the DHCP range. (Basically, I'm not sure hat DHCP is)
I'm not surprised - - I'll walk you thru the setup

you need the admin/password to the router first
WIRE a connection from router-->system and then

use your browser and use a url like http: // 192.168.0.1/
you should get a login prompt
user=root
password= <nothing>
(pg 49 looks like it's root/ empty)​

http://www.scribd.com/doc/54119679/48755801-IpTIME-PRO-54Guserguide
scrolling down to DHCP setup, set DHCP IP POOL 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.32
this will place all your devices except the printer between 0.2 and 0.33

We will set the printer (manually at 192.168.0.100) where it can be found by all your systems and never conflict :)

find that Admin page and change the ROOT password - - be sure to write it down
and save the settings.

disconnect the router from the system, wait 30 seconds, and reconnect to it
your IPCONFIG should show an address from 2->32

catch up to this point and we'll begin with the printer

Hi!

I have changed a few settings in the router page before. I'll try and complete your instructions and I'll get back to you. when you say wire a connection from router-> system, by system I'm guessing you mean computer (and not printer)

Thanks

OK

So now I've changed the DHCP pool to what you specified. My access details for the router have already been modified by me. I also used the screen on the printer to set its IP Address manually at 192.168.0.100. Turned off the router and removed all the wires and then I reconnected. Checked using my laptop but HP still can't detect printer. I can print using my wired desktop (so basically it is the same as it were before). Did I do the wrong thing by manually setting the printer network settings?

I don't think IPv6 is supported by my router, if that's where you want me to disable it. As far as I see, My XP Machines don't support IPv6. My windows 7 (wired) machine which does support IPv6 is working fine without me changing settings.

The IPCONFIG details for my wireless XP Laptop (the one that doesn't work properly with the printer) is:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Uvindu>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : uvindu-olap
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : local

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-6F-AA-13-8B
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:52:26 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 10, 2011 3:52:26 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D3-42-E1-40

Oh, and if it matters, my modem is connected to the WAN port on my router and the modem has an ip address of 192.168.1.254. It is a Thomson SpeedTouch 516 v6

Thanks for the Help

you misread me, I literally said disable IPv6, the preferred ... was evidence that it was active.
the printer to set its IP Address manually at 192.168.0.100
Great. Each system will be able to map that printer at that address and consistently use that address to access it even across shutdown and restart of the system (ie computer) or the printer itself - - it becomes a fixed location :)

Be sure to confirm the printer Subnet Mask & Gateway address match those of your systems - - they will be the same on both XP & Win/7.

the XP system is showing
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11
most uncommon to see the DNS at a different address than the gateway and BOTH on the local subnet. usually they would be the same. If XP has Internet access and your browser is running just fine, then I guess we can ignore it.

Back to the printer access on XP. Do you have Print/File sharing working between the two systems? The firewall would have been adjusted correctly if that is working now.

I have disabled all firewall on the XP. I can access it through XP add printer, but HP Software is not picking it up...

I also tried on Win 7 wireless lapyop, same problem

I did enable print/file sharing when setting up home/small office LAN Network

Also, how do I "confirm the printer Subnet Mask & Gateway address match those of my systems"
should have been in the same printer panel that you set the IP address ... read on ..
. I can access it through XP add printer,
I read you to say the Add Printer will configure and when you click on the printer name, you can see the print queue for that device.
This says your network configuration is correct.
I also tried on Win 7 wireless lapyop, same problem
I did enable print/file sharing when setting up home/small office LAN Network

but HP Software is not picking it up...
ok, that says you need to reinstall the HP software; the first time it was a Locally attached printer and now it is a Networked printer.

The problem occurrs during the initial startup of the HP Suit right after installation. The Subnet Mask and Gateway are all fine. I can't see it in the network devices list in win 7 but I can set it up in "Add Printer" and then use just the print function. I never installed the printre directly to any of the wireless laptops. It was always over wireless and it never worked.

These are the Printer Settings:

Network Interface
Enabled
Host Name
HP2E1BB1
Connection Status
Connected
Link Status
AUTO
Hardware (MAC) Address
D485642E1BB1
IPv4
Domain Name
Configured By Manual
IP Address 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
DNSv4
Configured By Manual
Preferred DNS Address 192.168.1.254
Alternate DNS Address 0.0.0.0
WINS
Configured By Unconfigured
Primary WINS Server 0.0.0.0
Secondary WINS Server 0.0.0.0
Statistics
Total Packets Received 2139
Unicast Packets Received 1196
Broadcast Packets Received 943
Total Packets Transmitted 1697
Unicast Packets Transmitted 1673
Broadcast Packets Transmitted 24

These are the Printer Settings:
these are fine.
it's interesting that the DNS is at x.254, but unless your scanner needs to email results,
forget it for now.

let's stick with one system and get this working. flipping from one to the other is not helpfull in problem resolution. Win/7 has it's own soultions . . . let's get the XP working.

OK, So I've already given you the details for XP, Is there anything on the laptop you want me to check.
All seems right. I can access other computers on the network and as mentioned before I can print to the printer but the software can't pick up the printer when it is scanning the network. I tried reinstalling but no luck :( same problem as displayed in the image I posted before

Any advice

Thanks

Under the discovered UPnP devices in XP, only the Router is shown. No printer...

But I can still print to it
that's because it is now a Network device and not locally attached.
I can print to the printer but the software can't pick up the printer when it is scanning the network.
hum; so printing works - - what software is 'scanning the network'? More importantly, what problem needs a solution?

The HP Printer Software is the one that scans the network. On computers connected via wires, the scan shows the printer as a result, but the laptops connected through wireless (regardless of OS) get no results from that network scan

I am so frustrated on how to get this to work :(

Thanks

well I too am getting frustrated. The last time I did an HP AIO with a networked printer,
the install process asked for a Local or Networked device - - that choice installs different software.

The Add Printer does the scanning of the network and as you have already stated,
that worked and you can print.

If you can print, then the only issue left should be the use of the scanner, and that should not be 'scanning the network'.

I think you are using the wrong tool for the wrong reason here.

I'm talking about the software HP wants me to install after connecting the printer. The same software one would use if they connected the printer to the USB port on the computer. It is the software that comes bundled with the printer.

When I installed it on the computer connected through wire, it did the "scanning" and found the printer and configured it or something

On the wireless laptop, it did the "scanning" but did not find the printer and hence I can't use certain functionality of the printer eg. I can get the printer to automatically scan and save the document on a network computer, but I can only do that if the HP Software has been installed and it has detected the printer. This software orks fine with wired but not wireless.

I will post some screen shots
POSTED THE LINKS ON PAGE 2

I'm talking about the software HP wants me to install after connecting the printer. The same software one would use if they connected the printer to the USB port on the computer. It is the software that comes bundled with the printer.

When I installed it on the computer connected through wire, it did the "scanning" and found the printer and configured it or something
yes I know the software, but don't have access to it on my system to give you click-by-click instructions.

the WIRE you're speaking of is the USB attachment.
On the wireless laptop, it did the "scanning" but did not find the printer and hence I can't use certain functionality of the printer eg. I can get the printer to automatically scan and save the document on a network computer, but I can only do that if the HP Software has been installed and it has detected the printer. This software orks fine with wired but not wireless.
wired HOW: {USB or RJ45 enthernet}? it makes a difference.
I will post some screen shots

on error1.png, is the printer accessible on the net, can you view the print queue for the device?

Yes I did that. The printer is accessible by going to its IP Address (192.168.0.100). I did try the last option (if I don't the software will eventually return to that screen again after the failed scan), but then the wizard just quits and it asks me to register the product. If I doubl-click the HP icon for the printer software it brings me back to error1.png

Thanks

Back