TechSpot

Connecting a usb modem to a router

By Ace630
May 21, 2008
  1. Right now I have a usb modem from pipex hooked upto my computer and a computer downstairs is hooked straight to my computer with a network cable to use this internet connection.
    Now sometimes my computer cant stay on all the time or I have to restart and so that means the connection goes for the computer downstairs
    Is there anyway of getting this connection on all the time without having it go stragith to my computer
    Also its a dial up connection

2. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 743

You need a modem/router my friend. With 4 ports on the back and preferably wireless
    You can get them for as little as £20, then you just configure it with the settings that you received with your pipex installation.
    Then you'd either hardwire your pc downstairs to it via an uber long cat5e cable, or put a wireless card in it and connect to the router wirelessly.

All the above benefits, plus you're getting a better firewall that what windows has to offer. :)

3. Ace630

Ace630 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 71

So the router will dial upto the internet and keep it connected no matter what?
    I already got a network cable running from downstairs to mine upstairs so that should be fine right?

4. k.jacko

Yep as long as its a modem/router (2-in-1 basically)
    Eh? You have a network cable connecting 2 pc's together? It must be a crossover cable and tbh thats not really a good way to start a network as it still relies on at least 1 pc up and running for all services (ie. internet etc).
    But, yes, connect a network cabe from each pc into a port on the back of the modem/router and do away with the crappy modem that Pipex supplied.

5. Ace630

Oh so when i get that i wont need the pipex modem anymore
    yeah the network cable i have is a crossover cable
    that can be plugged into the router cant it and get one for my own computer

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,516   +336

like this
    Code:
    modem --- router --- your systems
    You are speaking of a DSL service. A straight dial-up connection (like AOL) will not
    work through the router.

7. k.jacko

Yeah, but dude, no one in Canada is surely on dial-up anymore.
    Are you thinking that he may be on dial-up and not DSL or cable?

8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,516   +336

he did not say, so I was attempting to clarify the issue JUST IN CASE :)

9. Ace630

Oh sorry i forgot to change that
    Im in the uk now sorry for the confusion
    its dial up broadband

10. NetCablesPlus

NetCablesPlus TS Maniac Posts: 483

Just to clarify, be sure to use 'straight-through' Ethernet patch cables when connecting your PC's to the router. Most modern routers are auto-sensing and can sense and make adjustments for a crossover cable, but it is safer to just use straight-through cables.

11. Ace630

ok thank you for all your help

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.