Connecting a usb modem to a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace630

Right now I have a usb modem from pipex hooked upto my computer and a computer downstairs is hooked straight to my computer with a network cable to use this internet connection.
Now sometimes my computer cant stay on all the time or I have to restart and so that means the connection goes for the computer downstairs
Is there anyway of getting this connection on all the time without having it go stragith to my computer
Also its a dial up connection

You need a modem/router my friend. With 4 ports on the back and preferably wireless
You can get them for as little as £20, then you just configure it with the settings that you received with your pipex installation.
Then you'd either hardwire your pc downstairs to it via an uber long cat5e cable, or put a wireless card in it and connect to the router wirelessly.

All the above benefits, plus you're getting a better firewall that what windows has to offer. :)

So the router will dial upto the internet and keep it connected no matter what?
I already got a network cable running from downstairs to mine upstairs so that should be fine right?

Ace630 said:
So the router will dial upto the internet and keep it connected no matter what?
Yep as long as its a modem/router (2-in-1 basically)
I already got a network cable running from downstairs to mine upstairs so that should be fine right?
Eh? You have a network cable connecting 2 pc's together? It must be a crossover cable and tbh thats not really a good way to start a network as it still relies on at least 1 pc up and running for all services (ie. internet etc).
But, yes, connect a network cabe from each pc into a port on the back of the modem/router and do away with the crappy modem that Pipex supplied.

Oh so when i get that i wont need the pipex modem anymore
yeah the network cable i have is a crossover cable
that can be plugged into the router cant it and get one for my own computer

like this
Code:
modem --- router --- your systems

You are speaking of a DSL service. A straight dial-up connection (like AOL) will not
work through the router.

Yeah, but dude, no one in Canada is surely on dial-up anymore.
Are you thinking that he may be on dial-up and not DSL or cable?

he did not say, so I was attempting to clarify the issue JUST IN CASE :)

Oh sorry i forgot to change that
Im in the uk now sorry for the confusion
its dial up broadband

Just to clarify, be sure to use 'straight-through' Ethernet patch cables when connecting your PC's to the router. Most modern routers are auto-sensing and can sense and make adjustments for a crossover cable, but it is safer to just use straight-through cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back