Connection problem with my Linksys BEFSR41 Router and DSL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

svtcobra

Hey guys, cool to still come around here. Havent checked in lately. Well, I recently changed a few things in my computer setup. First of all I changed from cable internet to DSL. Secondly I changed from a wireless network to a wired network. Here is my problem. When I had Cable internet and a wireless network everything worked great. My laptop and desktop both could access the internet thru the router and life was great. I also had my Xbox connected through the router and that worked great as well.

I recently sold my laptop and just had my desktop on the cable internet. I picked up a Linksys 4 port cable/dsl router from a friend and connected my Xbox and desktop to it. It worked great.

Okay here is the problem, I got DSL. The router now doesnt work for the life of itself. I tried to reset it 100 times and it still does nothing. I cant even access the firmware to upgrade it or change the settings in it. I dont think it is fried because it worked great when I had the cable. What do you guys think it is? Im guessing that is something to do with the dsl connection software. I have tried Winpoet, the Windws XP connection software and one other piece of software, I forget the name, but none of these made a difference. All my connections are good and the router lights up like it should.

Thanks in advance for the help..

I was having a very similar problem when I tried to setup my network. I figured out I just needed to place my username and password in the router setup itself. Once this was done all works like a charm.

I also had a problem resetting the router, and I finally got it to work when I held the reset button in for 3 times as long as it said to.

I hope this helps, at least a bit.

Are you sure you are trying to access the router correctly? It may be as simple as the new router having a different hardcoded address than the previous one.

Also, you don't need any DSL connection software, the router is perfectly capable of creating and keeping alive a DSL connection all by itself.

I agree with poert... sounds like you just need to add the username and pw into the settings of the router and set it to keep the connection alive.

thanks guys for the replies. I am having a hard time accessing the router's setup page. I guess this is where all the trouble is beginning. It seems that my computer wont even connect to the router. Im on hold waiting to talk to someone from Linksys as I type this. I'll let you know how I make out.

Problem solved! A quick call to Linksys was all that was needed. While reviewing my network settings the tech figured out that I had a static ip assigned to my nic card. All I had to do was change the setting to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and it worked! I should have been able to figure this one out but for some reason the whole DSL dial up software was screwing with me. Thanks again for all the help. I'll be around

Glad it's all figured out now. I didn't even think about htat either, I was stuck on the router part of the problem, not worrying about the NIC. Anyway hope to see you around cobra.

Yeah I was guessing that it was the router as well. Thankfully it is up and running now and I can get my Xbox back online.

Have you found your DSL problem yet ?

If you have not already discovered , your DSL modem is probably NOT configured at a BRIDGE. This is required. You most likely will need to contact your DSL provider to get it set up with the router. you can check how it is set up by connecting direcly to the mdem with an ethernet cable and typing in via Web browser its ip address ( probabl 192.168.1.1) WHat make of router is it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back