Constant error, always linked to kernel32.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Today windows fixed a couple of entries during disk checking, and everything has been going haywire since. WMP, Zune, PowerDVD, and many other application ither 'encounter a problem and need to close' or 'fail to initialize properly'. the error report always shows a fault in kernel32.dll apart from other files. windows setup files also fail to load
i have tried re-installing .net framework, and re-loading a back-up of my registry from a month back. i also uninstalled bitcomet, which i had installed yesterday, but to no avail.
here is an example of the error report:

AppName: wmplayer.exe AppVer: 11.0.5721.5145 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.3541 Offset: 00012a6b

regsvr32 also fails when i try to register a few files like shdocvw.dll, kernel32.dll.

i think it might be a permissions problem. any suggestions?
all help is greatly appreciated! thanks,
arv

A problem probably not connected to the download.
It appears possible that you have some sort of hardware failure or Windows failure.
Assuming that you have Windows XP,I would first attempt a Windows repair install.
First, backup your valuable data.
Cold boot to your Windows install disk, then let it go through its modes until you get a choice for R for Repair... DO NOT use The R for Repair Console, but wait for the next screen.
Windows will repair all of the installed components without damaging your setup otherwise., and of course, it will take a while... as long as 45 minutes.
After this is done, you will need to reinstall any Service Packs not found on the install disk, and run Windows Update to get all the other key windows downloads.
At the end of this time, you will know whether your have a fix, or whether you have an unrepairable problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back