Consumer version of Google Glass is still a year-ish away

By Shawn Knight
Apr 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Consumers hoping to get their hands on Google Glass later this year can likely scratch the device off their holiday wish list. The commercial version of the augmented reality visor is still about a year-ish away according to Google chairman...

Read more
  2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

This doesnt surprise me. But seriously, how much can you do with such a limited product.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Well, yeah, that's what the year is for. They've gotta figure how to market it since we sure can't figure why we should buy one.

Reminds me of the story of silly putty... when scientists discovered it it was really cool. It could bounce, stretch, copy ink onto it... they spent years trying to figure out some industrial use that could make money. They couldn't and it ended up a kids' toy.

Learn from history google... Cool doesn't mean it's a money maker.
    Jad Chaar likes this.
  4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Well, I would look into it if it wasnt $1000 and it was so clunky. Current chips just arent small enough to fit into sleek glasses.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

Unless it contains some cool James Bond type features such as x-ray vision, a 'bad guy' killing & steel cutting laser beam. It would add new meaning to the saying 'If looks could kill". Mind you, you could also wind up looking ridiculous wearing these things.
  6. I'd get one as long as it isn't a gimped product like the current version is.
    720p video with only 12GB of usable storage? Come on Google. Put a microSD card slot on there so we can use 64GB cards. They're plenty fast enough to record 1080p video too.