TechSpot

Cooler Master Cosmos II

By red1776
Jan 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

Cool review. :)

It it available now? I can't seem to find prices in the usual hangouts I frequent in the UK.

Would you choose this case of a Corsair 800D out of curiosity? I have to admit that due to the hard disk bays I was considering the 800D, but I'm not a fan of the front of it. Dependant on price this could be a consideration.

2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Topic Starter Posts: 5,910   +91

Thanks Leek,
    I had a lot of fun reviewing it. :) According to CM, it should be listed at any moment. and yes I would. I have spent three weeks with it now, and It is far and away the best production enclosure I have worked with. If the looks are of your taste, i would choose it over the 800D

3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,950   +730

Home server?

Lian Li V2120

I'd be inclined to take a number of chassis over the 800D after using one for a while. The ATCS 840 (if you can still find one) is still one of the best chassis around -styling, cooling, space usage, airflow. It does lack USB3.0, but that is easily rectified by adding a USB front panel - or removing the USB hardware from them and modding the existing chassis ports (not a big job).

4. red1776

anyone interested in seeing my project log of me putting a curved recessed window in this thing? LOL

5. dividebyzero

Kit and CNC work, or getting jiggy with a Dremel and a strap heater ?

Wasn't there talk of C-M bringing out a plexi window kit for the Cosmos 2 ?

6. red1776

CNC, I have a close friend that owns a machine shop and has been teaching me the programming. ( they are id-iot proof these days and wont let you crash the heads anymore like the old days) hehe. the heater will come into play as the design i have planned is rather asymmetrical and will have to be curved as well. I will come up with the hold down jig myself and have him double check my programming. yes there is talk of a windowed option. weather it is a panel you can get or just a case version is unknown, but I have designs on a much more custom/split-pane design. (going to look like a 67 split window vette)

7. dividebyzero

Good luck. Word to the wise; If you're planning on embedding an LED or two into the plexi for illumination purposes (knowing your predisposition towards LED ;) ) I'd suggest keeping the "seperate" windows as one piece, since you'd need less wiring/LED's as the light will travel through any contiguous surface:
    Chassis side in profile and lying flat (due to TS's post formatting)

..................xxxxxxxxxxxx..............xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxx----------------xxxxxxxxx--------------

xxxx -plexi
    ------ -chassis

CNC is the shizz. Just out of school many milennia ago, my first job was in a machine shop programming and cutting using plasma and water to cut steel and aluminium plate up to 3/4" thick. I still use the shop for chassis modding and auto panel work - their routing and auger tables gear down low enough for plexi work (edge rebate etc.), and putting a couple of gas burners under a steel work table make a very serviceable heat table and break

8. red1776

I suppose you think you're clever ROFL that is exactly my intention. however this not being a screaming "look at me" chassis. I am taking a cue...oh hell, i'm stealing your idea of last year, of a few strategically placed white LED's highlighting a few key components. probably one 2w white LED embedded in opposite corners of the one piece/split pane. ( and a piece of very lightly obscured plexi (5%) maybe)

Hell yeah, I remember the first one I worked on was well before X-Y-Z, only X-Y. I got away from them for a long time and then was introduced to the water jets that will cut through 8" of aluminum...amazing.

9. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

Sweet. :) You using it full time for your system now then?

A mix of both really. My everyday build come home server. I really don't need to be running my existing homeserver 24/7 as I tend to run the main PC 18 hours a day anyway -- So might as well just use that for disk access for the network and save some money by cutting electric and parts outlay.

Right now it works because I can move my VMs over the server and offload them from my Q6600, but once I've got this new X79 setup I should be fine doing it all on the same PC.

P.S. That Lian Li is nearly £400 on my shores. :haha:

10. red1776

I am, I don't anticipate changing anytime soon :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.