Cooler Master HAF 932 gets USB 3.0, black interior

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Cooler Master has launched an updated version of its classic HAF 932 desktop chassis. If you read our review of Cooler Master's flagship HAF X last November, you'll probably recall that it offered a few perks unavailable on the older 932. For an extra ~$70, the HAF X delivered two more expansion slots, dual hot-swappable drive bays, stock support for 2.5-inch drives, as well as a side panel window, a black interior paint job and USB 3.0 connectivity.

Although many customers would've happily paid a premium for its extra features, the HAF X also introduced a less aggressive design that doesn't sit well with some folks and those individuals ultimately had to settle for less (be it aesthetics or features). Fortunately, that's less of an issue now. The HAF 932 Advanced maintains the appearance of the original, but adds USB 3.0 ports as well as a black coated interior (though there's no window to enjoy it).

It's worth noting that instead of adding the USB 3.0 ports to the existing front I/O panel, Cooler Master has occupied one of the six 5.25-inch bays with a second I/O panel. This shouldn't be an issue for the average user but it doesn't seem like an ideal solution. All other specifications appear to be unchanged from the original. The HAF 932 Advanced is available online now for about $160, which is $30 less than the HAF X judging by Newegg's prices.

Permalink to story.

The PC-K62 is nothing like the HAF932. Its a mid sized case instead of a full for one. Also no 230mm fans with no side vent or fan. Also it is cheap looking compared to the HAF 932 and I wouldn't even think about going tri sli in that little plastic case. The HAF 932 and X are some of the coolest cases I have seen and used and I build custom rigs for a living.

The two USB 3.0 ports stuck in a drive bay somehow just doesn't work for me ... really don't see much added value for the extra money.

It's a pity the mobo header-to-front panel cable isn't longer, then it would be a relatively easy modding process to convert two of the top (standard) I/O USB 2.0 ports to 3.0. Cooler Master could then have sold the cable (19pin header to USB 3.0 out) as an accessory on their site, or -god forbid- provided them free of charge to existing HAF 932/922 owners with proof of purchase.

It's a pity the mobo header-to-front panel cable isn't longer, then it would be a relatively easy modding process to convert two of the top (standard) I/O USB 2.0 ports to 3.0. Cooler Master could then have sold the cable (19pin header to USB 3.0 out) as an accessory on their site, or -god forbid- provided them free of charge to existing HAF 932/922 owners with proof of purchase.

Z, you are so right. I have a new HAF 922 (new in the sense that I bought at a great deal waiting for my new build later this year) and would love to have the USB 3.0 avaliable on the front ports.

Not impressed. I have the Haf 932 right now. This isn't even close to a real upgrade. I have USB 3 on my board so all I have to do is plug stuff in the back.

I love my 932 case, I really do, but my biggest beef is with the USB ports on the front. Being on the front of the case is not a good place for these ports. My computer sits on the floor and on more than one occasion I have bumped occupied ports with my knee. This has "blown out" both of the two ports. (The two slots have two ports each in them) Now when I go to plug anything into any one of the four ports I have about a fifty fity shot at shorting out the case which shuts down my computer. It is a huge pain in the a$$. So I have resorted to using a USB hub, plugged into the back that sits on my desk.

Cooler Master, please put the USB ports on the top of the case. How about you put them in the useless little watercooling access port shelf on the top? I'll trade the watercooling access for better placement of the USB ports any day of the week. Hell, you could probably put ten or twelve of them up there, a few of them being USB 3. Or maybe you guys could just send me the **** I need to repair the ports on the front. Please?

All around though, it's an awesome case. It's huge, tool-less, and generally eye pleasing. I would suggest the case to anyone who's building a pretty serious computer.

Oh yea, and could you add some dust filters too? The sumbitch is a goddam vacuum cleaner.

Guest said:
The PC-K62 is nothing like the HAF932. Its a mid sized case instead of a full for one. Also no 230mm fans with no side vent or fan. Also it is cheap looking compared to the HAF 932 and I wouldn't even think about going tri sli in that little plastic case. The HAF 932 and X are some of the coolest cases I have seen and used and I build custom rigs for a living.

I stand by what i said.

You lose the window...lose a 5.25" drive bay (on an enthusiast case), My 932 already has USB 3.0, and pay $70.00 for it? who brought the pot brownies to Cooler master engineering dept on this day? how about a removable MB tray or something?
...or maybe the cost of black paint has skyrocketed.

Almost got a 932, but ended up getting an NZXT Phantom instead. I like Cooler Master cases as I've had one before, but wanted to try something new.

the 932 was the single most important computer related purchase i've made thus far. only problem is i occasionally need to vacuum out the vents because my processor likes to overheat. not really the case's fault, especially since i'm overclocking it heavily, but the dust levels do build up. nothing a dirt devil can't fix though :p

now i just need to upgrade to a dual or triple radiator cooling system... and maybe strip it down for powder coating

Love my HAF 932 as well. :) Coming up close to a year already. Wow does time fly.

I thought I was going crazy for a second. Since NewEgg shows that I ordered the advanced build back on 5/6/2010 . Advanced is today $20 more than what I had payed for the regular model.

Thank God, I do indeed have the original. I too disapprove of the changes they have made.

Back