Core duo or core 2 duo?

By crampy
Jun 7, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey everyone, I'm tryin to decide on which laptop. It will be used for some games, video editing and secondlife. one has a core duo 2ghz (x 2). the other has a core 2 duo 1.66 ghz (x2) Obviously the core 2 duo is newer technology but because the core duo is faster does that make it better? the core 2 duo is 55 GBP more. Also both systems come with vista home installed an i remember readin somewhere that it really needs 2gig memory to run good? these laptops have 1 gig DDR2 so are they going to be fast enough for vista? thankyou

BTW here are links to the 2 laptops
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus_F3Jr_Laptop_F3JR-AP084C/version-1.asp

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus_F3Jr_Laptop_F3JR-AP137C/version-1.asp

If any1 can recommend a system same kinda spec as good please do!!
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Core 2 Duo has much better performance than Core Duo

1gig will work out okay, but if you are going to be doing memory intensive things, then 2gig is recommended.

I just bought a laptop with vista, and it only has 1gig, I plan on upgrading soon.

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
    A message for all newcomers.
    SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
    Thanks.
  3. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 1,094

Core 2 Duo is faster despite the other circumstances. And like poertner said 2GB is recommended.
  4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

with anything less then 2gb, Vista will run poor.
    even more is recommended. 4gb is ideal.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.