Core i5 3570 vs 3570k

There are two differences:

1. The i5-3570K is clocked 0.1 ghz higher than the i5-3570. This isn't a very large difference, isn't very important.

2. The BIG difference between the two is that the K version comes with an unlocked multiplier. This will allow you to overclock the processor to higher clock speeds (easily beyond 4 ghz) IF you have the correct type of motherboard (Z77) and an adequate CPU cooler. This allows for quite significant performance gains.

Are you planning a build or an upgrade to a system? If so, can you give some details so I can make a recommendation.

LukeDJ -as far as I know both are clocked at 3.4 ghz
And I don't plan on overclocking, so which one should I buy?

Basically, it depends on what other components you plan to buy, overclocking should not be cast away so easily, as it yields very good results for very little effort. As I asked before, are you building a new system, and if so, could you tell me what other components you have in mind.

No,I will only be upgrading the cpu,I already have gigabyte b75 mother board, gtx 660 and 8gb ram
Since overclocking cpu hardly ever yields results I don't plan on buying a cpu cooler!

Over-clocking and extra graphical power is the only performance benefit. If you have no intentions in using these benefits, I'd say you have no need in the k version and would gain nothing over the 3570.

There are three Advanced Technology differences but I'm sure if you needed those, you would already know you needed them.
  • Intel® vPro Technology
  • Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)
  • Intel® Trusted Execution Technology

Since you have a b75 motherboard, you could probably do some very light overclocking, and usually the i5-3570K is only very slightly more expensive than the non-K version, so I would be going with the K if I were you. Even if you don't overclock, it's always nice to have the option open if you get a Z&& motherboard in the future.

As for "overclocking cpu hardly ever yields results", well my friend, that is simply not true. Overclocking is simple to do if you have the right motherboard, and very safe if you have the right cooler. And why wouldn't you! I assume you will be using the system for gaming (correct me if I'm wrong), so take a look at some recent CPU performance charts, such as Borderlands 2 or Crysis 3. You can see that overclocking does increase FPS by a fair amount. Although this is not the case for all titles, it is likely to become the case more and more often in the future, as games begin to stress current CPU's.

Basically, overclocking is great way to future-proof a system, and I would highly recommend that you keep the option open.

Over-clocking and extra graphical power is the only performance benefit. If you have no intentions in using these benefits, I'd say you have no need in the k version and would gain nothing over the 3570.

True but the K version is rarely more than $10 more expensive, so he might as well get it.

Ok, thanks!!
Yes but the games u listed are cpu dependent and also I don't want to play those games
I was talking about bioshock infinite, tomb raider, far cry 3 etc

True, those games aren't very CPU redundant (Far Cry 3 has some minor improvements). But you never know, your next favorite game might benefit from an overclock. You never know man :p

Hmm, true, but I will take my chances since I am a, little bit afraid of overclocking!
Blame it on heavy import duty :p

Fair enough mate, good luck with the upgrade :)

Edit: You seem to be fine with GPU overclocking, as shown in your other thread, why does CPU overclocking frighten you so much?

In cpu overclocking you have to mess with the bios, whereas in gpu overclocking a simple software will help
P.s. I unknowingly messed up the bios once, and my pc wouldn't start. It took me around 3 hours to figure out the problem!!

I understand your fear of delving into the bios, but most modern motherboards make it pretty darn easy. It's like "click on your CPU settings, click the up arrow" :p

Don't let past experiences get you down, it's all about trial and error, I have made many mistakes in the past, and I just learned to never make them again :)

Check out the benchmarks on TS. OCing a i7 3770K from stock to 4.5 GHz can yield 5-10 FPS more depending to the game.

Hi, is there any difference in performance between the above mentioned cpus at 3.4 ghz?
OK, at the moment Newegg is selling the 3570K for $219.95, with a $10.00 gift card.

The locked multiplier 3570 is selling for $214.95.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

If math serves me correctly, and including the value of the gift card, that makes the 3570K $5.00 cheaper than the locked version. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115233

Even the $5.00 price difference without the card is of no consequence. Five bucks more for tons of bragging opportunities, you'd pay more than that for lunch.

Even the normal $15.00 price differential between the two CPUs, is irrelevant and dismissible, with processors in this performance class.

So, does this topic really warrant any further agonizing? I don't think so.

OK, at the moment Newegg is selling the 3570K for $219.95, with a $10.00 gift card.

The locked multiplier 3570 is selling for $214.95.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

If math serves me correctly, and including the value of the gift card, that makes the 3570K $5.00 cheaper than the locked version. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115233

Even the $5.00 price difference without the card is of no consequence. Five bucks more for tons of bragging opportunities, you'd pay more than that for lunch.

Even the normal $15.00 price differential between the two CPUs, is irrelevant and dismissible, with processors in this performance class.

So, does this topic really warrant any further agonizing? I don't think so.
Haha, couldn't of said it better. He did mention that in his area the K version is $35 more expensive though.

Haha, couldn't of said it better. He did mention that in his area the K version is $35 more expensive though.
And I thought I lived in a bad neighborhood...:(

In any event, multiplier overclocking is so far superior to software and buss solutions, it's still worth 35 bucks. Since you are going to use an aftermarket VGA, you can install higher speed memory from the jump, and pretty much leave the settings as is. (This assumes of course, the board correctly detects them).

Plus, you still get to brag like crazy, you just have to do it standing up for a few days. This due to the butt hurt violation scene in the checkout line.

I've found it helps ease the pain by blurting out, "ow my a**" just as the cashier hits, "total".....

I just put together a machine with the odd ball i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 22nm. It's a dual core, but with the G-4000 graphics. It must have Windows bamboozled, because it pulls a 6.5 (!) on both graphics scores in Win 7.

No, I'm not delusional, I understand it won't play, "Crysis ". But, it is primo HTPC material.

Back