Corning's 'Project Phire' is as tough as Gorilla Glass with scratch resistance similar to sapphire

By Shawn Knight
Feb 7, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Hardened glass maker Corning is working on a new material that's said to combine the toughness of its popular Gorillas Glass with a level of scratch resistance that comes close to that of sapphire.

Read more
  2. thorpj

thorpj TS Enthusiast Posts: 88   +13

Scratch resistant glass (but fragile) is definitely a good fit for a watch. But for the iPhone 6s (or whatever it will be), I'm not so sure. iPhones are notorious for breaking when dropped, aren't they going to do something about that?
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,111   +1,377

I would be surprised to see nature winning in this battle between sapphire and a synthetic glass. The latter can be tweaked indefinitely to the point of perfection, while sapphire is all but a fixed crystal structure with little, if any, flexibility for tempering.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,339   +1,938

I'm sure a synthetic material would be better and more flexible than a natural one so I'd say rather go with Corning's product, it would probably be much cheaper to produce than a sapphire screen to boot. That said the Gorilla Glass 3 that covers my screen sounds a lot like plastic to me when I tap on it but it is very scratch resistant.