Corsair ddr2 dominator 1066mhz won't work at the posted specs on my asus m3a79-t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikymjr

I have been working with apacer ddr2 800 mhz for awhile without any problems. I just wanted to have something faster so i bought a 4GB kit consisting of 2x 2GB corsair dominator that are suppost to work at 1066mhz at 5-6-6-18. But when i try setting it in bios to 1066 it shows me 1067.If i try that speed my latency jumps above the posted spec to 5-7-7-23. Are there any suggestions to what i should do?

what happens if you set the timings to auto? it all depends on the motherboard really... and since you were using ddr2 800 before, i would set the timings to auto and see what each module reads using CPU-Z. also, have you tried just setting it to 1065... just for kicks?

yes i first tried it in auto settings but i saw them working at 800 instead of 1066 in cpu-z. 1065? hmm wel it kinda jumped from 800 too 1067 when i hit the + button.....

i know it sounds weird i didn't excpect something like that either. Oh and the voltage stays at it's default 1.8 in automatic even if 2.1 volt stands on the label. my apacers used 1.8volt. But the voltage doesn't go to 2.1 volt when corsair sits there. everything is in auto

Have you tried manually changing the voltage to 2.1? If the label on the Corsair modules reads 2.1 you will want to have the ram voltage set accordingly, as it is (a very important) part in the factory spec. You should be able to change it, and not have it on Auto or default. Memory needs a certain amount of power to run at certain timings, so I'm thinking the modules cannot run @ factory spec without the appropriate juice, thus resulting in different timings.

oke i did what you told me. But it still works at 5-7-7-23. I went searching on google if anyone else had the same problem. It turns out that one of them used the AOD(AMD's overclocking software). Should i try and correct the problem with that? I learned to use Asus overclocking tool and that was easy using. But i'm kinda new to AMD's overclocking software........

You shouldn't need to use any software to have the modules run @ factory spec, but it's definitely worth a shot if you've found evidence of it actually working. Otherwise, I would not recommend using any software for overclocking or ram timings. It's much better to have everything registered in BIOS correctly but if you have no choice... be very careful though as overclocking voids the warranty and can potentially damage hardware.

Honestly, if I were you, I would just deal with the slightly slower timings and only do something about it if BSODs were occurring. I doubt you will actually notice any performance differences with 4GB of memory.

Oke i tried it with aod but it doesn't save the settings for the next time(it kinda sucks). I tried your approach, putting in everything in the bios regarding memory tweaking and it worked a litlle, but i noticed that it worked a bit slower. I then tested to see if i could overclock my proccesor a bit by 5%(2.6 to 2.73Ghz) but it gave an error at start-up so my pc restarted. I then put the frequenty back to it's default setting.
I'm a bit dissapointed with this but it's ok.
I decided to put my ram at 800 and everything back at auto except the voltage wich remains at 2.1volt. The timings show 5-5-5-18. My system still works faster then when i had apacers 4 gb kit of 2. I can overclock my cpu to 3.1 Ghz with my ram pushing at almost 1000Mhz without any problems. I Have setlled for a cpu overclock of 2.8Ghz which is enough for now because i already have another kit with me of those corsair dominator and i will be putting it in next year. I like the looks of these goodies and there performance ready. So next year i will have 8Gb of ram and a new CPU Cooler of which i will be asking you and techspot members which would be nice, budget and the best cooling solution. By the way should i leave my ram voltage at 2.1 or set it to auto which sets it back to 1.8volt? Cause my cpu-z also mentions that it can work at 1.8 volt when at 800mhz with the same timings......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back