Corsair H50 vs. Coolermaster V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamerjock

I was thinking about switching my H50 for a V8. What I really want to know is how much of an OC can the V8 handle. My H50 could barely handle a small OC. There was probably a defect, but I don't think I can send it in since it came with my computer and they didn't give me the original box. Or if you could give me suggestions on a good air cooler under $100

I assume that since you are looking at the V8 then you chassis will support a tall heatpipe cooler. Knowing what CPU socket you're using would be handy also.
These coolers all offer better cooling than the V8 (as do a few other coolers)
Cogage Arrow ($73 inc shipping)
Thermalright TRUE Rev.C ($67 inc shipping)
Noctua NH-D14 ($88+shipping)
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B ($65 inc shipping)
Zalman CNPS10X Performa ($40 free shipping)
Thermalright Venomous-X ($70 + shipping) or $80 w/fan and bracket
Scythe Yasya ($55 + shipping)

Most of these coolers will be within 1-2°C of each other. The Prolimatech, Noctua and Venomous-X probably offer the best mounting hardware (haven't seen the Yasya yet) while the Noctua includes two of the best fans you can buy.
Bear in mind that coolers with two of three fans attached take up a significant amount of motherboard real estate and RAM modules with tall heatspreaders or tall chipset/mosfet heatsinks can be problematic. Check the specification and dimensions of the coolers against the space available on the board and the keep-out area between the board and the chassis side-panel

I've used the TRUE and the Venomous X, and I think there isn't much difference between the 2. Maybe a better mounting hardware (easier to mount mostly), but thats about it.

If you can afford it, go for the Noctua. I couldn't because it was just too large for my mini-ITX case....

Thanks for the help, I'm probably going to end up getting the Megahalems. I didn't really want to spend to much and the TRUE doesn't support my socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back