TechSpot

Corsair intros AIO wireless storage, Kingston shows 1TB USB drive

By Matthew
Jan 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Corsair has expanded its Voyager line with a reasonably priced, feature-rich external storage solution that seems comparable to the HP Pocket Playlist or Kingston Wi-Drive. The company's new Voyager Air fills four roles: a USB drive, a network attached storage...

Read more

2. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

Wait a minute.... $1,750 for a flash drive? BWAHAHAHAHA! No.

m4a4 likes this.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,178   +764

Ooooh I do like those Corsair drives.

4. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

Ehh, I thought SSD drives where down to 50 cents per gigabyte?
    So that would make the 512GB drive ca $250?

How do they justify the added $1500 ontop of that? Silly does not even begin to describe it!

Wendig0 likes this.
  5. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

Umm, interesting! $1750 for 512GB and a safe bet for 1TB would be around $2000.
    For that price one could get an alienware...

6. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

It's like an apple tax on steroids.

7. Who would want a dell pos???

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,178   +764

If Apple ever released anything like this I think I'd feint at the cost especially if they were forced to use Samsung's nand.

9. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Enthusiast Posts: 357   +57

Prices for the few 1TB SSDs out there are around $2500 and 512GB SSDs are in the $400 to $600 range. Also those SSDs are much bigger and have a lot more space to squeeze in the chips, these flash drives are smaller so it is harder to fit that much space so prices will go up.

10. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

11. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Enthusiast Posts: 357   +57

The LaCie is not a single 1TB SSD, it is 2 512GB drives so yes it will be cheaper. The OCZ PCIe SSD is pretty much the same, it is 2 SSDs that are RAIDed together. As for Micron they might be on to new, smaller chips which should be more efficient and less pricey so it's possible but the rest as of now it is usually either cheaper RAIDed SSDs to make 1TB or expensive single SSD 1TB drives.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.