Corsair unloads new gaming mice, mechanical keyboards

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Corsair has joined Razer, Mionix, Thermaltake and others in the mechanical keyboard business, unleashing a volley of gaming peripherals during the Intel Developer Forum today, including two keyboards and two mice. The Vengeance K60 and M60 (keyboard and mouse) are designed with first-person shooters in mind, while the Vengeance K90 and M90 are geared toward MMO and RTS gamers.

Both of the new keyboards feature Cherry MX Red switches, which have a non-tactile, non-clicky actuation. Cherry's Red switches are similar to the Black switches used in popular boards such as the SteelSeries 7G. They both have a linear (smooth) key travel, Reds are just significantly lighter to press (~45g versus ~60g to actuate and ~60g versus ~80g peak force at the bottom of the key stroke).

The spec sheets mention a "metal top plate" and it looks like both boards have plate-mounted switches. It's also worth noting that instead of sitting in a recessed bezel, there doesn't seem to be anything blocking horizontal access to the underside of the keys. This should make them easier to access with compressed air, but we assume this also means they're more prone to accumulating debris.

They also feature 20-key rollover (support for up to 20 simultaneous key presses), six multimedia keys, a USB pass-through connector, and the ability to lock the Windows key. From there, things get a bit different. The K60 ($110) uses a more conventional layout but adds a rubber textured surface to the WSAD and 1-6 keys, whereas the K90 ($130) has backlighting and a massive bank of macro keys.

Likewise, Corsair's new mice share many specs, but have their own particularities. Both utilize the 5700 DPI Avago ADNS-9500 sensor (the same technology in the Logitech G500, G9x, SteelSeries Xai and others). Some gamers have criticized  the ADNS-9500 for having positive acceleration issues, but plenty of people seem happy with the aforementioned rodents so don't let that scare you away.

The M60 ($70) has a body shape that looks more suitable for fingertip users along with eight programmable buttons, including a thumb-oriented "sniper" button for quick DPI adjustments. Meanwhile, the M90 ($80) has a bulkier contoured profile for palm grip users alongside 15 programmable buttons. All of the products are available through Corsiar's online store and should appear elsewhere soon.

Permalink to story.

As an avid StarCraft 2 player, I can assure you that the Vengeance would be a terrible keyboard for RTS (at least SC2). The extra macro buttons will really throw you off and are highly unnecessary for RTS. For RTS you want the most basic mechanical keyboard you can get. Das Keyboards are great.

That mouse has some uncanny similarities to the Mad Catz cyborg mise. Not that that is a bad thing. I have a RAT 5 and I love it.

Just give me a keyboard where the paint doesn't wear off the keys. This has always been an issue for me and my hands aren't even slightly sweaty ever. Go figure. lol

Wasn't there an article about this before with a video?

I keep getting confused lol...

Guest said:
Just give me a keyboard where the paint doesn't wear off the keys. This has always been an issue for me and my hands aren't even slightly sweaty ever. Go figure. lol

hmmm, i have the same problem... maybe paint just doesnt like me at all lol.

I wonder how the K60 keyboard stacks up against Razer's new Black Widow Stealth edition. The red "sniper" button on the M60 is a nice touch and perfectly situated for thumb operation.

Sure. I, too, would love a keyboard with non-wearing-out paint. I would also love a keyboard that is SMALL -- WITHOUT, for instance, a keypad on the right OR left. I get really tired of these big-ol' surfboards that they keep pushing on us.

One of my favorite keyboards ever was the Happy Hacking Lite 2. What I didn't like about mine was that it came in some wacky "ivory white" color, that looked more beige to me. I got rid of it simply for its lack of aesthetics. I might get one that is black next time -- and if that happens, then I'm keeping the sucker.

Here's the best RTS keyboard, as previously mentioned by another. The best part is, no paint has a chance to wear off!

http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-ultimate/

Seriously though, this is the keyboard that I use and my typing has gotten substantially better and quicker. There's a learning curve involved, but after a few weeks you'll love yourself for it.

fpsgamerJR62 said:
I wonder how the K60 keyboard stacks up against Razer's new Black Widow Stealth edition.

They require a similar amount of pressure to actuate, but the BlackWidow Stealth uses Brown switches, which have a slight tactile point. Reds are smooth from top to bottom with a gradual incline in actuation force.

Damn, that K90 keyboard looks pretty sweet. To date I haven't seen a mechanical keyboard with dedicated multimedia keys + volume wheel and so many macro keys. Kind of makes me want to sell my Razer BW Ultimate on ebay now...

Guest said:

Laser Etched Keys! Plus some of the main Keys are made of metal so can never wear away!
http://cyborggaming.com/prod/v7keyboard.htm

I have this keyboard and its one of the best things I have ever purchased! It may look ugly on the net but when you see it in the flesh damn its awesome!

@MCJeeba: I've used that keyboard, both the original and the Steelseries re-release. It sucks. The keys just feel slow, the response time is slow... looks cool, but looks can be deceiving.

Wow I'm surprised, a Corsair product that I don't like... Those mice look absolutely awful. I'll stick with my MX518. The keyboards don't look too appealing either...

20. Ten fingers, Ten toes. If you have less, learn to read the manuals for mechanical devices BEFORE you use them. If you have more, try and avoid radiation in the future...

20. Ten fingers, Ten toes. If you have less, learn to read the manuals for mechanical devices BEFORE you use them. If you have more, try and avoid radiation in the future...

I'm gonna need a new chair if I'm supposed to type with my toes as well :haha:

Back