TechSpot

Corsair's Obsidian 900D can house everything but the kitchen sink

By Matthew
Jan 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Since its unveiling at Computex 2009, the Obsidian Series 800D has served as the mac daddy of Corsair's enthusiast chassis. After focusing on delivering more affordable variants over the last two and a half years, the company is prepared to...

Read more

2. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

I will still stick with my FT02, thanks...

3. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,385   +479 Staff Member

If you prefer the FT02 then the 900D isn't designed for you. Given the choice I would take the 900D any day, it is an amazing looking computer case.

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,332   +277

Depending on the price and how the full review goes I'm considering it for my next full build. Gonna need plenty of space for triple or quad whatevers-are-around-at-that-time.

5. Steve

It is looking like we will be able to post a review in early Feb.

Burty117 likes this.
  6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,355   +402

Imagine how much that bad boy would weigh fully loaded? 15 drives, two PSU's, a bunch of expansion cards and a mongo cooler for the CPU - or even liquid cooling? You'd need a forklift in your house to move it around. ;)

7. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

My tj07 weighs around 40lbs fully loaded, so I know this thing is going to be pretty heavy.

8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,902   +712

Talking of the TJ07, this chassis looks like lovechild of the Silverstone and a Little Devil V8

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

The 900D is a lovely case. This & the Cosmos 2 are the nicest chassis on the market right now imho.

10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,814   +921

I thought you needed the kitchen sink for the water cooling system.. Is there an add on cab for that...?:confused:

"Love child, never meant to be. Love child, born in poverty".

Oh gee thanx! That'll be stuck in my head for a bit....

BTW, there's a tj11 too. It looks like two of these cases mated, and their love child is fighting a weight problem. In another 25 or 30 years, we'll be calling it "Chaz"

MilwaukeeMike likes this.
  11. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 981   +31

Oookay. Looks like a killer case for those who want the space. I'd rather go with the smaller and cheaper. I've still not decided between the Carbide 200R and 300R.

12. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

Now, that is a real tower case. :)

if it comes with a built-in seat, then... never mind :)

I have this tt v9 blacx case and it's already huge for my taste and is infantile compared to this obsidian case.

13. My next project: I'm planning to put the freezer unit (refrigeration compressor and condensing units) from my refrigerator into this case for my cooling system :D

14. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 326   +38

Oh man. This thing is a tank.

15. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

16. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,509   +312

That is one pretty spectacular case, but I'm still going for the Cooler Master Cosmos II still :p

Very tempting though, 2 Quad Radiators would be awesome!

17. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 637   +124

With all those fans, if I stick some wings on it, will I be able to fly it to work?
    I think I want one. It's a nice, roomy case and isn't exactly ugly.

18. andymac26

andymac26 TS Rookie

Maybe try just sticking with a chiller unit, a freezer one will put out more condensation than you could possibly believe. the condensation volumes rise exponentially as the delta k rises so you'd have to be pretty ballsy running a freezer unit in a primary pc.

19. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,091   +1,519

It's their money, let them find out the hard way. lol
    If they actually want to mod a rig like that, it would be very tempting to keep quiet. I would enjoy sitting back, watching, and waiting for condensation to start dripping form the CPU to GPU. Each and every drop at someone else's expense would be very entertaining.

20. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,902   +712

You wouldn't likely fit either in the Corsair chassis in any event. In addition to the compressor unit/chiller, guest would still need to have enough space to fit a back side (motherboard) heat unit to dispel the condensation and icing around the socket as you've already alluded to. If Guest was actually in any way serious, s/he would know that already. For chiller/sub-zero you're basically looking as at either a) open bench, b) CaseLabs, c) Little Devil or possibly d) a MM Extended Ascension depending on DIY prowess. The Corsair looks like a standard jack-of-all-trades full tower whose list of features rapidly diminishes as you remove components to fit more esoteric cooling.
    Provision for through-and-through airflow in the bottom compartment would have been a nice option to have, as would having the option to mount one of the HDD caddies instead of the 5.25" bays (of which four seems overkill in any case) so you could either fit radiators both sides of the lower compartment, or locate pumps and reservoir ahead of the radiator to enhance airflow and not lose HDD capacity in the process.
    Looks like a nice chassis- but for a premium price (~$349) you'd not want to spend too much to mod it when there are modular chassis already available. Looks ideally suited for a workstation/home server/standard watercooling setup.

On a related note, the vid on the Corsair site doesn't show the fitting tolerances in a great light. The gaps between front 5.25" bay covers leave something to be desired.

21. PowerNova

PowerNova TS Rookie

It looks like you should be able to fit two FT02s in there though.

22. Steve

Keep in mind that it is meant to be a prototype unit.

23. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Booster Posts: 580   +98

24. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

I wonder if I could park my car in it as well... If I bought one of these I wouldn't bother paying my mortgage because if I ever got evicted I would have somewhere to stay :D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.