TechSpot

CPU Compatability with new MB

By larrybody
Dec 13, 2005
  1. I am replacing a AM37-MB in my sisters Compaq Presario 6415CL Desktop because of a failed PS2 port. I have obtained a Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L MB which will fit . I have new DDR 2700 RAM. I am also replacing the power supply for good measure. What I failed to check is the compatabality of the original processor (AthalonXP 2000+/266mhz) with the new MB. Foxconn does not list the 2000+ processor, but does list the 2100+/266Mhz, 2200+/266Mhx, and 2400+/266Mhz processors as compatable. Will I run into any problems installing the original CPU into the new MB?

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

one problem you are likely to run into is that the exisitng hard drive probably wont boot with the new motherboard. the new board is a SIS chipset. also likely is that after changing to a completely different mobo the compaq recovery CD's wont install on a different set up. (depends on whether or not you have an xp Cd or a "recovery" disk.)

3. larrybody

larrybody TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

You are correct. I plan on reformating the hard drive (40 GB ultra DMA) and doing a clean install of Windows XP Pro from a new CD.

4. Otmakus

Otmakus TS Rookie Posts: 51

It's silly to replace an entire M/B just because the PS2 ports died. U can use USB keyboard and mouse, or if u still want to use ur old mouse and keyboard, u can buy a USB to PS2 adapter for dirt cheap.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.