CPU fan dead at boot only & rpm info not detected

By Postal64
Apr 11, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weird and "interesting" situation: My CPU fan (Zalman CNPS 9700) hesitates to start at boot-up. Repetitively, the fan attempts to spin (slight impulses) until it decides to spin normally after boot-up is completed (bios "Fan failed" message included!). Thinking the fan was the issue, I replaced it with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro and the problem remains the same. In addition, the new fan isn't even detected and reports 0 rpm (Even when it decided to spin after boot-up). The new fan has a 4-pin lead and my Asus A8N SLI Deluxe MB has a 3-pin CPU fan header (Don't think this is a problem, right?). I previously have been running this system for the past 3 years without any issues.

So the problem is dual: CPU fan won't start at boot and rpm info isn't being detected.
    I don't know how to troubleshoot what's wrong here. Where should I looking into? PSU? MB? Bios? Where to start?

Thanks,
    Greg.

Current PSU Values:
    V-core: 1.34v
    3.30v, 5.08v, 12.10v

Here's my gear:
    Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Socket 939
    OCZ Technology 2GB PC3200 DDR
    x2 EVGA GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB in SLI
    Enermax PSU Noisetaker 701AX (600W)
    NEC ND-3550A 16X DVD+/-R Burner
    Win XP Pro
  2. Postal64

Postal64 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Things I should have done from day one: Clearing CMOS. All came back normal after that. Probably the Bios settings that got corrupted. Now, I just have to return the new cpu fan to Newegg...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.