TechSpot

Cpu For Mobo

By PZEROFGH
Jul 15, 2005
  1. hi, i have a ASUSTek mobo, model number P4B266LM . and im wondering wats the highest cpu it can handle. currently i have a 1.61 P4 in there and im seeing how high i can go before i have to buy a new mobo.

2. PZEROFGH

PZEROFGH TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 63

i think 2.2 is the limit,does ayone know this for sure

3. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

It supports the 400fsb, and I think there are 2.8ghz p4 400fsb cpus still around.
    I think powerleap might have some.(yeah, they still do, I checked, $190)
    http://www.powerleap.com/Processors.jsp
    Also, it may support pentium m 400fsb chips, but I can't say for sure.
    Edit: No it won't support pentium m, at least not without an adapter.

The older celeron(not celeron d) cpus were 400fsb, but they weren't very fast.

4. PZEROFGH

umm...they said on the manufacturesers website that the cpu runs at 1.6-2.2+ willamentt/northwood socket 478, thats a 2.8 do you reallt think thats going to work?

5. PZEROFGH

6. vnf4ultra

Your link won't work for me.

I think it should work, it's the same fsb, same processor type(socket 478 p4 northwood). The site says 2.2+, so 2.8 should be included in that. The only thing that could be a problem is that the bios may not recognize the cpu, but I think it would.

Powerleap used to sell 3.0ghz 400fsb cpus, but they don't have any more apparantly.

7. PZEROFGH

instead of saying 2.2+ why dont they just say 1.6-like 3 or somethign instead of saying 2.2?

8. vnf4ultra

Probably since when it was made, the 2.2 was as fast as cpus went, and they couldn't be sure that a 2.8 would exist. That's an "educated" guess, I could be wrong.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.