CPU HeatSink/Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaMak420

Hey All....

I am looking for a new heatsink/fan for my CPU..... I think I will probably just replace the stock one I have, instead of just re-seating it....

I have :
ASUS Striker II Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 12MB L2

I dont really care how much it costs..... I want the best for my setup..... I am seeing temps around 56c(idle) and roughly 62-64c under medium load.

I ran Prime95 last night and watched the temp skyrocket to 77c b4 i shut it down... the CPU "safe operating range" ends at 72C I have not really clocked this thing higher than factory 2.66.... as it gets too hot at only 2.83ghz.(approx 68c, idle)

I dont want to go liquid cooling... just not ready finincially yet for that....

SO!

What is the absolute best heatsink/fan combo I can install on this machine? Anyone have any suggestions ?

Carefully measure the space available for a new heatsink and fan combination, then look at the Zalman brand which is easier to install, and better at cooling than most.
It is always better to install as a set of heat sink and fan combo... but be very careful and patient during the install. Be sure to use neither too little nor too much thermal paste
It is likely you have another problem with a temperature that high.

Carefully measure the space available for a new heatsink and fan combination, then look at the Zalman brand which is easier to install, and better at cooling than most.
It is always better to install as a set of heat sink and fan combo... but be very careful and patient during the install. Be sure to use neither too little nor too much thermal paste
It is likely you have another problem with a temperature that high.

Thanks for the reply. I have a TON of space in my case (Antec P182SE)

I will measure it out just to make sure..... but I havent had any space issues at all

If it isnt a poor seat on the cpu, what might u think it could be?? This high temp I think is causing another issue I am having, (https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic111577.html) Trying to sort it all out!!!!

I was only suggesting the space check, so that you don't buy a heatsink and fan that are too large or difficult to install. Since you have room, get the best set you can afford, but do not get too fancy. I like Zalman because they always work and last a long time. But there are many brands that will work fine.

those temps are crazy :eek:
my Q6600 is at 3Ghz on stock cooling and under full load doesn't go over 65

those temps are crazy :eek:
my Q6600 is at 3Ghz on stock cooling and under full load doesn't go over 65

Yeah I just reseated the damn heatsink... now im steady at 68-70c..... this is retarded.

I am getting new thermal paste tmrw, and trying again.

The temps you got before might just be bogus values. Software like Prime95 and SpeedFan doesn't report temperatures accurately. Monitor the temps via the BIOS and you should have a better idea of what's really going on.

The temps you got before might just be bogus values. Software like Prime95 and SpeedFan doesn't report temperatures accurately. Monitor the temps via the BIOS and you should have a better idea of what's really going on.

I have been using AI Suite to monitor my cpu temp. I thought it was fairly reliable... am I wrong?

Additionally..... while I am not a total noob... I am also surviving my first build here.... and am not pro. that being said...

Do i just enter the bios from start-up(like normally) and poke around till I find a section that will display my temps?

At that point... since I am in my bios... how do I check the temp under load ?

Yep, there's usually an option in the BIOS called Hardware Monitor or something similar.

As for load temps, I'd advise logging temperatures with RivaTuner and Core Temp in the background while running a game for a couple of minutes, and then exiting it and checking how high the temperatures went. Both programs will likely report different values, but these will not differ by much and will give you an idea of what is really going on under the hood.

im extremely frustrated. Does any1 have a high end replacement option that they know will work with both my mobo, and cpu ?

I cant even describe the lunch break Ijust had with my computer... but lets just say... 108C.... and I am 50% sure I did some fairly permanent damage to my cpu.....

./cry

The Striker Extreme had internal cpu thermal control as, by default, as 'auto', ie, you cannot exceed a 'safe' temp, the cpu will shut off the comp.

You need to go into Bios under 'Power', 'Temperature Monitor' and see what that says.

The Striker Extreme had internal cpu thermal control as, by default, as 'auto', ie, you cannot exceed a 'safe' temp, the cpu will shut off the comp.

You need to go into Bios under 'Power', 'Temperature Monitor' and see what that says.

I was in the bios, and it was set to auto.

but the bios would NOT display the current cpu temp for me. i had to boot into windows.

Then I suspect your mobo sensors are gerfunken!

well i just couldnt find the right section then possibly..... but I thought I checked every section of the bios... every menu... and i couldnt find anything that showed the cpu temp.

or do you mean b.c it isnt shutting down on its own ?

and if they were, how could ai suite pick up the temp.

Sigh! They issue a manual - read it why dontcha!

If you exceed the auto preset cpu thermal limit when on 'auto' thermal control then KABOOM! Shut Down!

I got into the bios and found what I was looking for!!

I had a bit more time, now that I am off work, and not hurrying at lunch time.

I reseated the heatsink one more time!

I actually have *decent* temps again. I am idling in the 48-52c range. This is still high... and i think i will pursue a new heatsink/fan, but atleast I can safely opperate the computer now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back