CPU or motherboard?

Chriss

Hey there.

I recently bought an Intel 2500K and a P8P67 Pro Mobo from here. Now its been running fine over the last week and a bit. Completely stable and past multiple stress tests. Now randomly today I decided to see how 3D mark 2011 ran. After getting to the second test the PC randomly switch off.

I now cant get the PC to start up again.Whenever I press the power button it makes a noise for a millisecond like the power supply is starting up, no fans just the PSU, but it really is only a fraction of a second.

The problem is I have no other pieces of hardware to swap out to see the fault except for the PSU. I've taken each memory module out with no luck. Taken out the graphics card, unplugged everything except for the essentials off the board and the back.I've tried another PSU with the same result. I taken the motherboard out of the case and ran it with still the same effect, however I came across something.
If I take the 8 pin 12V CPU connector out it starts up, fans going, obviously there's no screen output but at least it does something. So this makes me think its the CPU.

So I was wondering what you all think. The temps have been completely fine and when it crashed was during a graphics stress test. Is it worth RMA'ing the CPU?

Thanks

If I take the 8 pin 12V CPU connector out it starts up, fans going, obviously there's no screen output but at least it does something. So this makes me think its the CPU.

The only trouble with this test condition is this; when you pull the CPU power plug, you also take the CPU VRM out of the equation. The mobo VRM modules are a very common failure, CPUs not so much.

That said, (although it's a cop out), either RMA both parts, or research both parts further to see if any pattern of failure is developing with either part.

More than likely the board. Some of the Asus P67's (the Pro most noteably) have a very high rate of failure. You will most likely be RMAing the board at some stage anyway to exchange it for a B3 stepping revision. As cc says, you can RMA the CPU to be absolutely sure - It's not like you'll be using the CPU in the near future anyway unless you source another P67 board.

rma right now will suck since no places that i know of are selling either board or cpu also note that in most situations like this its almost always the MB.

Hey there.

Thanks

same thing happened to me. motherboard failure.

seems to be a common issue these new Sandybridge motherboards. Also note the recall issue warning from intel guys.

Got back and installed it. Pressed the power button and it started up so I thought great However, no display comes on and I noticed on the motherboard that the red CPU LED fault light was on.

I've tried everything. Reseating CPU, making sure not to overtighten CPU fan, made sure theres no bent pins and that the CPU looks fine. So I'm stuck again I've held in the Memtest button on the motherboard and the light just flashes red which I persume means its testing but the board restarts pretty quickly anyway so I guess it doesn't have time to finish. Anyone got any ideas? I found someone else that someone had 3 of these boards all faulty before switching to something else.

Back