CPU Overheating problem

PC Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 T1100 3.3GHz (Stock cooler, NOT Overclocked)
MB: ASUS M5A97
GPU: Radeon HD 7770 1GB GDDR5
RAM: 4GB DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz (running at 1333)

Hello

So these last couple of days I've been struggling to fix my CPU Overheating problem. The first time I noticed this problem was when I was watching a Twitch stream using Google Chrome, and I had a few other tabs opened (9gag, YouTube, Facebook) and all of a sudden I got BSOD, the dump process went up to 100% and then the whole PC just froze so I had to manually restart it. Upon booting I got a message saying "CPU Temperature too high, please enter setup". So I did and I saw that the temperature was around 85 degrees celsius. I turned off my PC and waited a while, turned it on and this time it booted normally and when I checked the temp using HWMonitor, it was sitting around 50-55 degrees idle with cpu usage at 5-10% which I think is weird (btw my room is cold since I only turn on the heating when it get's below 0 outside). The BSOD happened 3 more times of which twice when I was playing a game "Grey Goo" (I used an ingame cpu temp monitor and noticed that the temperature went from 60 to 85 degrees in 20 minutes of playing).
p.s. I had a svchost.exe virus located in Windows/Temp folder which according to VirusTotal was a BitCoin miner. It was starting with windows and using around 90% of my CPU, but now I have it quarantined with Malwerbytes Premium.

Things I've tried so far:
Cleaning the PC from dust
Replacing thermal paste
Changing the Minimum processor state to 5% (it was set to 100% by Razer Cortex Power Plan)
Using SpeedFan to run the CPU fan at 100% (3500-3600 RPM)
Scanning and cleaning the PC with Malwerbytes, ComboFix, RogueKiller, ADWCleaner, Avast Home Edition, Spybot Search & Destroy

Things I haven't tried:
Installing a fresh copy of windows
Hopefully things that you guys will advise me to do

Sorry for writing a new Harry Potter book, but I wanted to include as many details as I can.

Cheers

Just a question about thermal paste and fans:

How many fans in your case? 3 ? 4 ? (Not counting Video Card fans) 1CPU, 2 Case?

Also how big are the case fans, and are they turned up ? Do any of the fans make noise? (Could not be performing at maximum rates)

for your CPU fan is it also running optimally(no noise, fully cleaned out, not bent)?

What brand is the thermal paste that you bought ?? and how did you apply it? an even thin layer enough to cover the chip fully but not too much so that it's overflowing on it?

Edit: Also forgot to ask, have you checked the Motherboard Chips to see if they are overheating? I've seen that a lot but you said that your temp. monitor programs say it is for sure the CPU so.

Last edited:
A likely problem is that some malware is still active, and is making your CPU run all the time. It is kind of odd that the comp cannot cool it, however. This can overwhelm a laptop, but a desktop with proper cooling should not overheat to BSOD.

A fan could be dead, or you could have poor air flow. But the malware infection is likely.

You can look at your task manager by pressing control-alt-delete at the same time, and so bringing up the task manager.

Then, you can look at CPU use by processes. For the most part, if you are doing nothing on the computer, you will see mostly no CPU use, except for antivirus kicking up for sa moment, and other programs kicking up activity for a moment here and there.

A sign of malware infection is a bunch of svchost.exe files claiming a fair amount of processor power.

If you click on ther CPU use column, you re-sort data by level of activity, highest-to-lowest, lthen the next press gets it lowest-to-highest, etc.

If you clixk on "process" column, it sorts alphabetically by the name of the process/program.

So, you can see what is using CPU at any moment,

Here, at 'virus and malware forum,' you can get great volunteer guidance on analyzing and solving problem but it is an involved process, and you have to follow the directions just like the volunteers say.

I agree with Row1 try running through a full virus removal process. If your comfortable with reinstalling windows though that's usually the best virus removal process there is (if your doing it from disk not from a recovery partition. Something else you could do would be a new cooler as well, but I would eliminate potential software/malware problems before spending money on new hardware.

Back