TechSpot

CPU stops abruptly and doesn't reboot until the PS plug is removed and reinserted

By harsharaj1989
Sep 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I am running a P4 comp with 512 RAM and 80 GB Hard disk, I have an external Seagate USB hard disk of 500 GB connected. From past several days the CPU shuts down abruptly but the green light in the mobod as well as the keyboard numlock light continues to glow, further only the red light in front of the CPU cabinet continues to glow. The comp cannot be restarted unless n until the power supply plug is removed n re inserted into the socket. Earlier this was occurring only once in a day but frm past 2 days CPU shuts down 4 to 5 times in a span of 4 hrs. I have cleaned my hard drive from all viruses n malwares . One thing I have noticed is that before the CPU stops the SMPS as well as the Cooling fan of the processor chip run at very high speeds making a noise similar to wind storms. Please help me on this ASAP. Thank you

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,168   +37

This sounds like a heat issue. Heat will shut down a system fast. Have you tested the temps for your system? Is there dust build-up? Are all fans functioning?

3. harsharaj1989

harsharaj1989 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I hav checked the temperatures through everest software and its 50-52 C, i hav cleaned the cabinet recently using a blower , both the fans work normal, but only when the system is about to crash they run at very high speeds.

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,168   +37

50-52c = 122-126F. If that is your normal system temps something is high here. Are you doing anything in particular when the fans rev up before crashing?

What is the make of your power supply and how much wattage does it promise to supply? Can you get your hands on a digital multimeter?

5. harsharaj1989

harsharaj1989 TS Rookie Topic Starter

actually i am using the comp without an UPS, might that be causing this

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.