TechSpot

Cpu temp reaching 90.C!!!!!!!!!!!!

By philkills
May 30, 2005
  1. ok,

My system kept freezing after a little while of playing ragnarok....

so i got a cpu temp monitor... and while i was playing the temperature slowly creeped up to 90C, until it crashed.

Then i realised that in just idle the temperature was 67C !!!!!!!1

at this point i was a little worried, so i took off the side case and now in idle the temperature is 54C.....

But still 54C is bloody hot for a CPU in idle, i have 3 fans in the case 2 rear (psu and 1 added) and the other on the cpu itself, they are all running fine ( i think) but still the temperature is 54 in idle....

I noticed my PC had begun to get a bit sluggish since last saturday.... but i didnt think much of it at the time.

Does anyone have any clues of whats causing it/ things i can do to fix this problem =-(

2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,851

hmm

First off, what CPU is it? A prescott running idleing at 90 is alot more common then a northwood or Athalon. You fan setup is ok. But adding a slot blower or a intake fan would help alot. Also how often do you clean the dust witha can of air. Even after a few months the dust buildup can be alarming. Another thing you could do is reapply thermal paste. But i think dust could be one of the major problems

Sean

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If after cleaning out all the dust bunnies, there`s still no improvment, then taking off the heatsink and giving it a good clean with some isopropyl alcohol, then reapplying some good thermal past, should help. Just be carefull not to apply to much, you don`t want it oozing out all over the place lol

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

5. philkills

philkills TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for feedback guys, not sure yet but its prolly the dust =p

installed it 3 years ago and havent bothered cleaning it since lol

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.