Cpu usage over 75% when idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
my cpu usage is fluctuating from 75% up to 90% when sitting on idle. when i attempt to do anything it takes forever and a day.

i have only just installed an HIS Iceq3 turbo, on a clean install of windows xp and the essential drivers, the cpu usage seems to be far too high.

although i know the card may be a little overkill for my system i didnt think i would have this amount of problem.

system specs:
NZXT Zero case (more than enough fans to keep system cool)
Asus A8R-MVP Motherboard
AMD 3700+ Sandiego Edition (Stock)
2Gb Corsair XMS CPT2 Memory running in dual Channel mode @ 2-3-3-6
2x WD Raptor 36Gb in running in stripe mode with 4Kb Stripe Size. (SATA)
1x WD Tb (SATA)
1x WD 250Gb IDE (IDE)
1x Pioneer 215 DVD Writer Black (SATA)
1x NEC DVD Writer (IDE)
1x Standard Floppy Drive
1x Creative Live! 1024 With Live! Drive Attatched
1x Realtek Ethernet Card
1x Enermax Liberty 620W
and now 1x HIS IceQ3 turbo HD3870

anybody know why i should have so high CPU usage when the only things installed and running are the drivers for all the components??

cheers

which forum do you think it should go under as its only happened since i have installed the HD3870, but its also a CPU issue, thats why i put it under other hardware, since its a combination of the CPU, MOBO forum and the audio/video forum.

Um....what video card was in it in the first place? Any graphics adapter should take a load off the CPU not put it on. If you uninstall the card and it's drivers and reinstall the old card, what happens?

The "which forum" is a good question. since more than one thing about the machine was changed at once. I'd say "video" but if removing and replacing the card doesn't help, Windows OS? Meh... CPUs and chipsets? Hindsight is always 20/20.

originally did have a connect 3d radeon x1800xt 256mb, i did not have this problem before i installed the HD3870, i noticed the problem straight away after installing it, so i thought well ill back up everything and do a clean install of windows then that way, there would be no problems with redundant files from the old drivers.

only the video card was changed, but like i said im posting as its more of a CPU issue as i dont understand why the card should be creating such a heavy load on the CPU, only when running windows itself.

To Boldly Go...... Where No....Well You Get the Idea....

It does sound like a driver problem. I know it's a vague answer, but sometimes programs just loop back on themselves for reasons known only to them.

You did break a cardinal rule by reinstalling XP at the same time. It breaks the process of elimination sequence. Is there a chance you might have accidentally installed Vista drivers? That's something I might panic and do. I'd actually start over with the old card and drivers and try again. Since they're both ATI cards, I'd even give the new card a shot with the old drivers

no chance of vista drivers. im thinking about just putting my X1800XT back into the machine and waiting for the release of the official catalyst 8.4 drivers, see if there is a built in fix, if not i might just sell the card and save more money and get an Nvidia 8800GTX, as i think ATI/AMD might have just started making CPU Hungry GPU's.

heck i only bought the card as bridge to keep me going till i got the money for almost a full new kit out.

anyways ill put the old X1800XT back in with the current drivers as i know the catalyst 8.3 has drivers for that card already. so that should eliminate the question of the catalyst 8.3 not working correctly for any ATI card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back