Creating A Bootable Cd Rom...help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristina1978

:confused: ANYONE!! I have been trying to do a fresh install of win xp for 3 days. Finally troubleshooted the prob to the mb. When I called there tech support they said I need to update the bios.. That's great except:
1-I have no OS on the machine.
2-I have a laptop to download the bios updates from, but I do not have a floppy drive in my laptop.

I searched creating a bootable cd.. follwed the directions. Now I have a more problems. I unzipped the bios files and added them to the cd I made for the boot cd. When I insert this cd, I get a NON_SYSTEM DISK ERROR
I created a cd, with only the boot. It boots with A:/, I created another cd with the bios files, I put the other cd in typed in dir, and none of the files for the bios come up, I get kernel and some other junk. I was able to copy the cd with only the boot disk to the floppy on the machine, but can't copy the the cd that has the boot disk and the bios files.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I'M DOING WRONG????HELP PLEASE

ok.. lets see here.

when you were at the A:\ and hit dir. did the light on the floppy disk turn on?

What media type is the bios update on.. floppy or cd.

when you boot from a floppy boot disk it will create at RAM drive for A:\

Try getting to the A:\ prompt and doing
b:
this should give you a floppy drive and start accessing the floppy.
If the bios files are on a cd.. put it in the cdrom and type
d:
this should be your cd rom drive, depending on how many hard drives and cdrom drives you have.
you may have to go up a few to find the files.
example

e:
or
f:
again that is depending on how many drives you have configured..

No the cd spun.. because it was booting from the cd as if it was the A.
The bios files are on a cd.
I tried what you said but it does not recognize my cd drive when I put in d:

I had to create if off of my laptop on to a cd. I searched how to create a cd boot disc and followed the instructions....

Ok. wait a sec...

are you running winxp setup from a cd....

if so you may be able to do this.....

boot to the cd and go to the recovery console...

from there
d: to access the cdrom drive...

i have not tried but this should work

what format is the bios file in... is it a .zip file... if so you probably have to extract the files before you put them on the cd...

FROM ABOVE!!!!
I searched creating a bootable cd.. follwed the directions. Now I have a more problems. I unzipped the bios files and added them to the cd I made for the boot cd. When I insert this cd, I get a NON_SYSTEM DISK ERROR
I created a cd, with only the boot. It boots with A:/, I created another cd with the bios files, I put the other cd in typed in dir, and none of the files for the bios come up, I get kernel and some other junk. I was able to copy the cd with only the boot disk to the floppy on the machine, but can't copy the the cd that has the boot disk and the bios files.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I'M DOING WRONG????HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back