Creative to license GPU technology to Intel as part of $50 million deal

By Shawn Knight
Nov 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Creative Technology has come to an agreement with Intel to license out their GPU chip technology as they move forward with plans to focus on their core strengths: audio equipment. The Singapore technology company will also sell ZiiLabs Limited (formerly...

Read more
  2. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 410   +42

I cant wait anymore for their ZXR to come out :( It's taking SOOO long.
  3. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,259   +216

Interesting move... A little move at shoring up some of the HD graphics for Intel perhaps? If they can mitigate AMD's one strength left (APU graphics), there could be some more interesting shifts in the marketplace.
  4. waterytowers

waterytowers Newcomer, in training Posts: 85

I didn't even realise Creative did anything in the GPU market ?

I can't imagine their GPU portfolio would be much to speak of...
  5. dikbozo

dikbozo TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 106

As most of Ziilabs IP is tied to ARM products, I don't really see how it will help Intel with the crappy performance of their IGP. It might be part of an Intel push into the world 'o' ARM, though.
  6. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 879   +52

I though creative sold that part off years ago.
  7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,700   +586

That was more to do with 3Dlabs CAD/workstation graphics business (Dynamic Pictures and Intense 3D), which ended up being gobbled up by Nvidia and Intel.
    This is likely more about Creative patents and IP associated with the Zii SoC (their stemcell computing initiative)- my guess is that Intel have found something of interest in Creative's IP portfolio, rather than any actual product
  8. Wow, I didn't know that Creative still existed! ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.