CrossFire HD 5850's not working

DKRON

I built my computer awile ago but now just recently added a second 5850 to make new games run more smoothly, it won't power up at all and the computer doesn't pick up anything in GPU-Z either, i have a 850W power suply

i have the new one in the PCIEX16_1 and the old one in PCIEX16_3, because one is a powercolour 5850 with those big heatsinks and the other HIS only has normal fans

what does CCC show in the hardware info section? does it see it as either a linked , or even a unlinked adapter?

I assume you got the PCIE power connectors and CF bridge plugged in?

Possibly a silly question but...
Are you sure the second card is known to work?

You don't state whether the card is new or secondhand. Upon installation and reboot did you get the new hardware detected pop-up? Does the card show up under the Display Adapters tab in Device manager ?

they are both brand new not second hand, it hasn't picked up anything on ccc or poped up with installion of new hardware when i boot up, i first maybe thought it was a dodgy bridge but the fans don't work either

Device Manager not picking up the new install is usually indicative of a DOA component. The only exceptions I've ever come across when this hasn't been the case is a faulty PCI-E connector -but since the 5850 requires two the odds are pretty much zero for this to be cause.

im tired atm lol what does DOA mean?, so the 850 should defenitly be enough power for them?

well reverse the positions of the two cards and see if you get the same result.
DOA= dead on arrival
yes 850w is plenty for 2x5850

Dead On Arrival. Not unusual for a percentage of defective graphics cards to be shipped along with the functional ones

850 watts is more than enough to power 2 (or even 3) 5850's -assuming the power supply is of a reasonable quality and functioning ok.

Dead On Arrival. Not unusual for a percentage of defective graphics cards to be shipped along with the functional ones

850 watts is more than enough to power 2 (or even 3) 5850's -assuming the power supply is of a reasonable quality and functioning ok.

IMO you have an OEM that is DOA...better RMA...:D

do the reversing of the two cards and see if you get the same result with the card in question though. I had a dead PCIE interface a month ago on an Asrock MB

the only other thing i can think of, the motherboard that im using has 4power molex plugs on it for the graphic cards, it said on the manual if 2 or more cards are installed you need both plugged in but i can only get one to plug in because the *****s who designed the board put the second plug on the side of the motherboard right agaisnt where the power supply is so unless i get a right angled 4 power molex it won't be plugged in

the only other thing i can think of, the motherboard that im using has 4power molex plugs on it for the graphic cards, it said on the manual if 2 or more cards are installed you need both plugged in but i can only get one to plug in because the *****s who designed the board put the second plug on the side of the motherboard right agaisnt where the power supply is so unless i get a right angled 4 power molex it won't be plugged in

The card should still be recognized without that additional 4 pin plugged in, or with out the CF bridge, or the PCIE power connectors for that matter.

Did you reverse the cards and their respective PCIE slots?

ok so def not power then....i havn't had much time to fidle around with configurations yet, will swap them out soon

Probably just as easy to try the PCIEx16 4-slot or any of the PCIEx8 slots -unless they're all fried excepting the primary - save that one for last unless you're enamoured with the sound of motherboard beeping.:haha:

Probably just as easy to try the PCIEx16 4-slot or any of the PCIEx8 slots -unless they're all fried excepting the primary - save that one for last unless you're enamoured with the sound of motherboard beeping.:haha:

ahhh yes...music to my rear..:p

okay okay just get the one in question in a different slot :D

not funny guys lol the motherboard it like $600 worth lol not a cheap thing to replace lol

C'mon, look at the bright side! You've got plenty of slots to choose from, AND if it turns out to be the board (unlikely) then Gigabyte's RMA procedure leaves HIS's( HISsss/Lexy Pacific) for dead.

not funny guys lol the motherboard it like $600 worth lol not a cheap thing to replace lol

Should still be under warranty?

2) it is way more likely that its the graphic card . GPU failure rate is just under 1% (thats actually very high odds) a bad PCIE interface is rare...really rare. We are just trying to make sure you have the right components pegged before you go through the hassle of RMA'ing. :)

EDIT ***now who's ninja Chef!? :p****

The UD9 came out less than a year ago (around mid 2010) from memory so even if the OP got the board from some unscrupulous 1-year-RTB merchant they should be all good (Giga boards are three years parts and labour in any case.)

yea really don't have any warrently with it, bought it fom pc case gear online, i have been having 100's of other probelms with memory and booting before this, i still to date have to power drain the computer after first boot to make it load into windows

its all working :), one of the 6 pin connectors came out of the powersupply but its not configured, havn't got crisis to work with them yet but oblivion works supre :), p.s my emails and other accounts just got hacked by a guy in the UK, does anyone have any good "tools" i could use to find the guy as i have misplaced my programs

Back