Crossfired HD 7970s running right?

death791

Hi all I just had a couple quick questions, I just upgraded to dual 7970s which I have crossfired. now in games all the cutscenes seem to lag and my frames only run around 20-40fps with fraps on is there anyway to fix this issue?, also I got a free copy of crysis 3 and that game is only running at 15-20fps compared to black ops 2 running 100-160fps on max setting is anyone also having that issue? below is my system spec and a couple avg. in game fps I usually get.

3x Acer 23'' Monitors In Eyefinity
MSI z77a-GD65 motherboard
Intel I-5 3570k @ 4.2ghz
16gb G.skill Sniper 2133mhz ram
2x XFX 7970 black edition video cards @ stock clock
Cruical M4 256gb (SSD Boot drive)
1TB WD Black (Game Drive)
XFX 1050watt Power Supply

Some Avg Framerates I Get with all Max settings @ 5760x1080 Res
Counter Strike GO: 170-250
Left 4 Dead 2 120-200
Black Ops 2 90-160
Team Fortress 2 80-150
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 90-160

Well, you can't compare the demand of Crysis 3 to Black Ops II. 15-20 FPS seems pretty reasonable for C3 @5760x1080. Especially since you're running your cards at stock clocks.

Well, you can't compare the demand of Crysis 3 to Black Ops II. 15-20 FPS seems pretty reasonable for C3 @5760x1080. Especially since you're running your cards at stock clocks.
I was about to say, but what is interesting is that Blops 2 uses some DX11, so I would expect him to get lower frame rates in it... I guess scaling is crappy in Crysis 3

Ok here yeah go, 7970s running at 1000mhz gpu clock and 1425mhz memory clock (which is stock on the BE cards from xfx )currently running latest AMD catalyst control center which is 13.1 I believe, I was going to try out the 13.2 beta version I dont know if it is any better by the way im running win7 pro forgot to say that.

I am getting about 50ish average on C3 with everything maxed out @1920/1080P with overclocked 7950's in crossfire.

The latest Beta drivers have been optimized specifically for Crysis 3.

Ok, so I just remembered I Watched a video when Titan was released about running games at this resolution. I found it again and saw his benchmarks:

Scaling is very poor in Crysis 3, you may have to wait for a new driver (doesn't usually help that much, on the game developers end). The Ares 2 actually performs worse than 1 7970... The games you are able to play well are DX9 games, with maybe minor DX11 (black ops 2). Sorry to say bud, but you may be out of luck in C3 since it doesnt scale well at all. You can run BF3 @ around 80 FPS if you OC your cards. The Ares II (as shown in the benchmark) is 2 OC'ed 7970 cores on 1 board.

Cool thanks for all the Info Guys, I just lowered the setting to medium and no AAs etc.. now in multiplayer I see around 50s-70s and that with CC 13.1, ima go ahead and try out 13.2 and ill leave a post back.

Just Installed 13.2 that did the trick, all my games are running much better with ver13.2 thanks again! Seeing 70-110fps on medium setting no aa's etc, I still need to see what max setting runs at. Also I noticed in Aliens Colonial Marines and for some reason it is just this issue still does with 13.2 installed but when I go and open a door I get like a 15fps drop but that could just be a game bug in need of a patch idk.

Yeah I did a fresh install of Catalyst 13.2, I think my next step would be the overclocking of my cards, but I need to look up more information on overclocking them seeing I have never done it before to any cards. I would be interested in seeing if I gain a nice little boost but I also sorta want to wait and watercool them first because the fans can get a bit loud under load.

I would recommend MSI after burner to OC them. I would search online for the optimal Voltages and clock speeds. Remember though: OCing will void the warranty and may reduce the life of the card if you OC them too much. I would monitor your temps @ stock and @ OC with RealTemp.

Back