Crytek announces 360 exclusive title 'Codename: Kingdoms'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

A rumor broke earlier this month which suggested that Crytek might have been secretly creating an MMO. The hearsay was partly provoked by the fact that Crytek recently began securing many "Kingdoms"-related website domains as well as a trademark for "Kingdoms" covering video games. As it turns out, the company isn't hording domains and trademarks for no good reason – they're working on a new title.

During Microsoft's E3 keynote, the company revealed that Crytek is whipping up a new game that will be exclusive to the Xbox 360. At this point, the title is being called Codename: Kingdoms and it appears to be set in some classical Roman/Greek period, featuring 300-style soldiers. According to folks onsite, the game is highly redolent of the PlayStation's popular God of War franchise, which is based on Greek mythology.

The folks on stage didn't mention what genre Codename: Kingdoms belongs to, but it seems unlikely to be an MMORPG if it's exclusive to the Xbox 360. No launch window was mentioned either, but it's said that no gameplay footage was shown, which suggests that the project isn't too far along yet, but we're excited nonetheless. After all, how bad can a Crytek-developed 300-like title be?

Permalink to story.

How bad can it be? How about they took a **** all over pc gamers. I don't care if we get crysis. An xbox 360 exclusive is a slap to the face. I supported them with every game they made. I have steam and retail copies of all crysis games as well as far cry. And this is what we get. Well crysis 2 won't end up in my shopping cart anytime soon. I'll play something else made by a respectable company like valve that cares for their PC audience. BTW crysis 2 is on my piratebay wishlist. These companies blame pc for piracy. Theres just as much possible piracy on console. the majority of console gamers just don't have the intellect to download the xbox360 game,burn the iso properly and modchip their 360.

It's a slap in the face to PC gamers because Crytek made a deal with Microsoft to design a new game for the Xbox 360? I'd find it easier to agree with that if the project were well known and expected for the PC, but you're just finding out about this today. :/ I'd like to see the game on PC just as much as the next guy, but it seems silly to hold a grudge and boycott other Crytek products.

Let's be realistic... Everything I've read about this game makes it sound like it's not PC material. God of War comparisons abound. If it came out on the PC, all you'd hear is "it's too consolish" complaints, and the sale figures would probably be pathetic.

So they made 1 console exclusive, under license by the manufacturer? Big whoop. Now, if everything from them starts hitting consoles first, with PC versions as an afterthought, THAT is the time to puff up your chest and hit the boycott bandwagon. They aren't slapping you in the face, they are making money - you know, that green stuff that is the whole reason for creating companies to begin with?

Vrmithrax said:
Let's be realistic... Everything I've read about this game makes it sound like it's not PC material. God of War comparisons abound. If it came out on the PC, all you'd hear is "it's too consolish" complaints, and the sale figures would probably be pathetic.

So they made 1 console exclusive, under license by the manufacturer? Big whoop. Now, if everything from them starts hitting consoles first, with PC versions as an afterthought, THAT is the time to puff up your chest and hit the boycott bandwagon. They aren't slapping you in the face, they are making money - you know, that green stuff that is the whole reason for creating companies to begin with?

+1 Well said.

Vrmithrax said:

I'd like to point out that few if any companies don't make a product due to piracy. The reason your video games costs 59.99USD isn't because of piracy. It's because of greed.

Because of greed eh, princeton? You know - I just finished Dragon Age: Origins and took the time to watch the credits at the end - all 15 minutes of it and counted everyone that had some part in creating the game. Guess how many? 737. That's seven hundred and thirty seven people over a two year game development. Which means salaries, benefits, overhead, hardware, software, advertising, packaging - everything it takes to employ those 737 people in the production of a game up until release. And that doesn't even include the support for future patching. The days of two guys whipping out a hit PC game in their basement and becoming instant millionaires are 3 decades over. It takes as much or more to produce a quality game as it does to make a top-run movie.

And obviously you haven't been paying attention. After Crysis was released within the first two weeks there were TWO MILLION illegal downloads of that game, Crytek threw up their hands and said "enough is enough" we're tired of making games for millions to steal. We're going to be shifting most of our focus to platform products where it's a lot harder to steal.

That whole "they're just greedy" is another one of the top 5 worst excuses pirates use to steal. Although this does seem to be an exclusive contract with MS to make this game, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that they jumped at this opportunity to avoid having their next game being ripped off by the millions. There is no doubt that between production costs and pirating - that's where the $59.99 price tag comes from.

I'd like to give a few of my +'s to TomSEA, for just counting the people involved in a game, if nothing else! You are either a man of great intestinal fortitude, or were reeeeeeeally bored (and possibly drunk) at the time... Either way, they are yours, man, do with them what you will!

And, umm, princeton? At no point did I mention piracy, so I'm not sure where your comment was coming from?

LOL...I wondered why I did it myself Vrmithrax. The credits were scrolling and I started out counting just for kicks thinking it would be around 80 people or so. After the number got to over 300 figured I'd had too much time invested in the counting to quit. Don't believe I'll be doing that again.

Because of greed eh, princeton? You know - I just finished Dragon Age: Origins and took the time to watch the credits at the end - all 15 minutes of it and counted everyone that had some part in creating the game. Guess how many? 737. That's seven hundred and thirty seven people over a two year game development. Which means salaries, benefits, overhead, hardware, software, advertising, packaging - everything it takes to employ those 737 people in the production of a game up until release.

For what it's worth, I believe Dragon Age was actually announced sometime in 2004. I assume it was in development for much longer than two years. If anything, that just further emphasizes your point of excessive production costs.

@ Tom

I would appreciate your sentiments more if most computer games weren't widgets put out by big corporations. I don't feel sorry for them one bit.

Many independent manufacturers put out great games, without DRM, and yet still manage to make a profit. Most computer games released by corporations are buggy crap, and these corporations assume that you're a criminal from the start.

I see your point, but arguing that piracy is bad on a moral basis when we're stealing from corporations that basically are running this planet into the ground just doesn't convince me.

"..but arguing that piracy is bad on a moral basis when we're stealing from corporations that basically are running this planet into the ground.."

Really. Exactly what is that supposed to mean? What computer game manufacturers are "running this planet into the ground?" And are you telling me you're not bright enough to use demos and professional/user reviews (Metacritic as example) to determine which game is crap and which isn't. You just to steal it anyway assuming it's a "DRM filled widget?"

We all know Crysis wasn't a crap game. It won numerous game-of-the-year awards. AND it wasn't released with over-the-top DRM. Yet two million simpletons felt they were entitled to steal it within two weeks of it's release. Explain that for me, wouldja?

TomSEA said:
Because of greed eh, princeton? You know - I just finished Dragon Age: Origins and took the time to watch the credits at the end - all 15 minutes of it and counted everyone that had some part in creating the game. Guess how many? 737. That's seven hundred and thirty seven people over a two year game development. Which means salaries, benefits, overhead, hardware, software, advertising, packaging - everything it takes to employ those 737 people in the production of a game up until release. And that doesn't even include the support for future patching. The days of two guys whipping out a hit PC game in their basement and becoming instant millionaires are 3 decades over. It takes as much or more to produce a quality game as it does to make a top-run movie.

And obviously you haven't been paying attention. After Crysis was released within the first two weeks there were TWO MILLION illegal downloads of that game, Crytek threw up their hands and said "enough is enough" we're tired of making games for millions to steal. We're going to be shifting most of our focus to platform products where it's a lot harder to steal.

That whole "they're just greedy" is another one of the top 5 worst excuses pirates use to steal. Although this does seem to be an exclusive contract with MS to make this game, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that they jumped at this opportunity to avoid having their next game being ripped off by the millions. There is no doubt that between production costs and pirating - that's where the $59.99 price tag comes from.

Have you ever played killing floor? A $19.99 game that was heavily supported. It got numerous patches and quite a few content updates. For free. The only thing that costed money was custom character models for 50 cents a piece. They still turned a profit. I know companies that employ over 700 people to make a game need to charge more for it to pay their workers but I still don't justify the price tag. Greed is NOT a bad excuse. Did you know the CEO of acer made more money then every single person in all their factories put together. Then they sell the product for alot more than what they had to pay to make it. Now thats more of a hardware example but the point stands. These giant companie leaders keep wanting more and more and that's definitely a factor that contributed to this economic downfall. Bad excuse my ****ing ***.

TomSEA said:
Exactly what is that supposed to mean? What computer game manufacturers are "running this planet into the ground?"

Someone as bright as you should be able to look up who owns a lot of the major computer companies. Its not 1988 anymore, guys with beards don't run things these days.

As other people have pointed out, there are many independent studios putting out a lot of good games, that have great support and a avid PAYING fan base, myself included.

Major corporate game studios put out games according to a schedule, not when its finished. No other consumer product comes even close to being sold to the public in such an incomplete unfinished state. And what if the game works, and for some reason it won't run on my system? Oh no, can't bring it back too bad for me. But I can try on a pair of jeans at the store, buy it, even wear it on the DL, and still bring it back with on problem, and nobody is going to accuse me of trying to get a "free wear" out of the jeans before I take them back.

But I'm not gonna care about the poor computer game programmers not being able to feed their families because of me. They take my money when I buy the game, they don't care I'm sitting at home cursing at my computer because of the latest CTD.

I would be in total agreement with you, up until around the mid to late 90s. But its a different game now. Downloading may be illegal, but with what's going on in the business world (including the PC game world) make any appeals towards morality laughable.

hello ...

OT:

it's always funny how such article turn to be flaming wars about console or piracy :p

I agree with a few comments here.

I hate it when 3rd party developers go exclusive on any platform, i always say it's a bad move. If it's about piracy they wouldn't they go toward a PS3 exclusive instead!?

& yes the cost for developing games on PC or any console is quite high, sometimes higher than a movie, but yet people do find time to steal these, so i understand the developers & that's why i think it's about time we do take our responsibility & buy what we like, there are demos if you want to try & don't come with fake, hypocritical blablas about games not worth it, we download piracy & buy when we like (oh really!) ...

I didn't know that Techspot was for PC fanboys !? ...

BOT:

I'm a bit mad with Crytek too, for their comments about Crysis 2 & i sure hope it will be better on PC than anywhere else like they showed in their videos.

This is a new game, i don't care if it is an Xbox360 exclusive, i just wish them good-luck, if it's a good game i would certainly love to see it @ least on the PC, but they have the right to do so. Yet i'm repeating myself here, let 1st party developers do exclusive, but MS doesn't have that much.

games are not expensive, the price is right for the value of entertainment they bring, just don't o buy anything without a good review.

cheers!

"What computer game manufacturers are "running this planet into the ground?" And are you telling me you're not bright enough to use demos and professional/user reviews (Metacritic as example) to determine which game is crap and which isn't."

1. A critic, whether is be a movie or game critic just gives THEIR impression of what they are critiquing. Just because the majority likes something does not mean that that EVERYONE will like it. Case in point.. President Obama.

2. Critics are approached constantly by the companies they are reviewing trying to get a good review. Some stand tall and give an honest review and some take the low road and accept gratuities for their their reviews. Can you tell which are which? Next time you buy a new car, just trust what everyone tells you and buy it without test driving it.

3. Game companies have admitted that making demos cuts into development time and costs them money. How hard is it really to add a few lines of code to make the game stop at a certain level or make the game end after a certain period of time? The reason they do not make demos is because they are afraid no one will buy the game if they played the demo and realized that the game sucked. All that money paid out in development flushed down the drain. The software companies want to trick you into buying their products then make a bunch of rules called the EULA to keep the consumer's money at all costs.

4. A lot of the blame is with the consumer as well. I see in other postings all the time when a new game comes out, like Crysis 2, things like "I've already pre-ordered mine" or "I'm buying THAT when its released". Why the hell would you buy it on name alone and why buy it when the price will be at its highest? People have too many "OOO Shiney.." moments. Would you buy stocks just because of company name or would you research and plan for the right time to buy them?

What is the problem if Crytek makes an Xbox 360 exclusive game?Crytek is also developing TimeSplitters 4 which is also a console exclusive.As long as I am happy with their games which I BUY and as long as they don't neglect PC gamers then I'm satisfied.There is no point in blaming Crytek.And I agree 100% with TomSEA on the piracy issues.

I agree with guest that wakes up early LOL & TomSEA ...

Crytek do make games exclusives for different platforms & i rarely been deceived by them, except for the excess blabla about Crysis 2 & counter-statement they made.

the PC is such an easy platform for piracy that it is feared & blamed for every reasons, legitimate or not

this game is new & good it is for one platform. as long as they still do others.

pre-ordering a game can be done ONLY when there are a lot to obtain from it & at a better price than announced official price.

I got 2 - 3 games like that, paid same price as i would when a game goes platinum & had a lot of bonuses but mostly were for games i really wanted, whether they turn out bad or not... you know what they are just great for me & for millions of other gamers, i remain careful still, mostly on multiplats title, can wait for a price drop & need a professional review from different sites..

cheers!

wow some of you need to go back to playing with a rock and a stick. then you can remember your lucky to have what you do. anyone who thinks the game companies arent trying to pull the wool over your eyes so they can make top dollar is ignorant. they wouldnt make one single game if they didnt think they were gunna sucker you out of money. and we will buy, this is how it works in a consumer market, simple and factual. i also hope you see that quality also has nothing to do with making you happy. if its better quality then the next guy whos product do you think you will buy? simple concepts that even a street level drug dealer would even understand. as far as pirating, who cares. the first industry to complain was the music industry, yet year after year they set sales records. no one will ever convince me they dont make plenty of money one way or another.

I wonder if the people whining about Crysis 2 in this forum actually pay for their games, as why else would you whine that you spend money. It is your choice if you want the game or not, buy it or don't buy it, but if you don't buy it, it shows you don't want it. ¿¿Greed projection??
I, personally will be paying the retail price for Crysis 2 because I want the game and not because I mights be a memberz fo da kool kidz wit da all nu gadgetziz!

@princeton That is because Xbox can find a modded Xbox in seconds and ban the gamertag AND the Xbox from XBL. Maybe if you were smart enough you would know that.

Seriously a game company is out trying to get paid the most amount of money it can for the services it provides. I cant believe it, lets get out pitchforks and hunt them down. Oh it's a rip off, is it, well if people really felt that way then no one would buy it and the price would drop. I think it's totally true that pirating has changed the PC game market, PC games are almost always cheaper then the console counter parts. And seemingly the biggest selling PC games are MMO's where pirating is not so much an option.
It's great to get something for free, and it would be great if we could all just eat rainbows and live together in peace and harmony, where we shared everything we have with everyone else because it's the right thing to do.
But if we all lived on this crazy hippy commune I doubt we'd have time to play video games, we'd be too busy hugging trees.
So until then lets all bow down to the almighty dollar, and get out credit cards out to pay for the latest offering from Crytek, which I'm sure will be an awesome game given the track record.

Maybe they do get record sales, but how in the hell is that an invitation for piracy. What could possibly make you think you are so special that you should get it for free when millions of other people have to spend money on it. And what the hell are you talking about corporations running the world into the ground, its not the corporation its the stupid consumer with no self-control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back