Crytek teases Warface, upcoming free-to-play military shooter

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Announced in November 2010, Crytek has mostly kept its upcoming free-to-play venture under lock and key, but it's hoping to pique your interest this week with a few new screenshots. Called Warface, the title is planned as a PC-exclusive military shooter that delivers an AAA-like experience without the pricey admission fee. Among other features, Warface will have to deliver impressive graphics to compete with its retail rivals and based on early impressions by Chinese tech portal Yesky, it's doing precisely that.

crytek warface

The game is being developed by Crytek Kiev with CryEngine 3 and Yesky has praised the shooter's visuals, including its lighting, shading and motion blur. Earlier this month, the site proclaimed Warface to be the most anticipated online FPS in China -- though we're not sure how many shooters Chinese gamers are looking forward to, considering the nation's rampant censorship. Nonetheless, with Far Cry and Crysis being among the most attractive games of their day, Crytek certainly has the potential to deliver.

crytek warface

Along with spiffy graphics and physics, Warface promises to offer "immersive and fluid second-to-second" combat, including co-op moves. The title will have an extensive, constantly updated player versus environment (PvE) enviornment with co-op missions massive boss fights alongside a competitive player versus player (PvP) mode with "proven classics and true innovations." Judging by PvP footage posted on YouTube last month, the gameplay doesn't look far from what you'd experience in BF3:

Although we don't know what players will have to pay for, we imagine Crytek won't reinvent the wheel when it comes to its FTP business model. In other words, you can expect to pony up for cosmetics, weapons, maps and other in-game content. We've included two of the three new screenshots. You can find slightly larger versions along with the third image on the bottom of Warface's official site. We haven't seen any solid release dates beyond "TBA 2012" and "Q4 2012," for whatever that's worth.

Permalink to story.

I was thinking the same thing, that video makes it look like a bad version of CoD, i'd rather go and pay £20 for BF3.

considering a single copy of MW3 can cost up to $120 where I live, I think this is going to do extremely well.

Burty117 a bad version of cod... are you seriously high right now cod looks like complete poop compared to this atleast this game doesn't copy+paste everything and make you pay $120 for something that is 10yrs old lol

I love how everything is in Chinese (i think) and then at the end the girl announces you lost in English! lol

The best free to play fps game available right now with an excellent graphics is probably AVA Alliance of Valiant Arms. I played it even before it was offfered through Steam. I hope Crytek is does it.

Current look is meh at best. Feels like standard military FPS... nothing special... The models are not even uniquely wow... I did like that each team had different color "bullet wizzes".

Mindwraith said:
considering a single copy of MW3 can cost up to $120 where I live, I think this is going to do extremely well.

Where do you live that it costs twice as much for the same product, even when you have the Internet?

Meh, looks okay. I wish the combat were not so CoD: Advance Warfare-esque. Also, those 'co-op' markers really look out of place, maybe they should give you the option to turn them off. I am sure you can memorize the locations, or maybe use a HUD element that isn't so invasive. They still have a ways to go to make this look fluid.

movement was awkward looking, map looked small, I didn't see any physics besides the necessary, interface is alright - besides huge *** reticle and hit indicator. Just another cookie cutter from 2005...

Then again, they can make it better as this should be beta, even better, maybe alpha...

spydercanopus said:
Mindwraith said:

Where do you live that it costs twice as much for the same product, even when you have the Internet?

I live in Australia where the retail copy of MW3 is $120 or on steam you can get it for the 'low' price of $100, even though our currency is worth more than America's right now so it should be more like $40. And they wonder why people pirate so much.. >_>

Mindwraith said:
spydercanopus said:
Mindwraith said:

I live in Australia where the retail copy of MW3 is $120 or on steam you can get it for the 'low' price of $100, even though our currency is worth more than America's right now so it should be more like $40. And they wonder why people pirate so much.. >_>

Wow, that is some serious bullsh*t right there, I like to buy games but Jeez, I would Pirate as well at those prices!

Guys, guys, guys... It's FREE! So what if it's a bit "meh" and not top of the FPS food chain? Did I mention the fact that it's FREE? If it stays only meh, they'll never get the micro-transactions and upgrade sales that most free-to-play games require. Either way, it costs you nothing to try it out and see if you like it enough to actually drop cash on it. Cause it's FREE!

We've become so jaded... It's like we have to always find faults in things. Which reminds me, that WAS way too much reloading!!! I actually started developing an ammo-conservation OCD reaction to the whole thing. :p

P.S. FREEEEEEEEEE!

Doesn't look so bad for a F2P FPS, especially when comparing it to what is currently available. Might have to check this out when it's released and hopefully they improve it as it does seem a bit rough.

Bring me a game that is not just an incremental increase in graphics and AI over previous games. I know consoles are dragging down the PC gaming sector, but I can guarantee that if some development studio came out with something that just blew the doors off of anything we've ever seen, the vast majority of PC gamers would jump at the opportunity to buy it.

I want textures with resolutions indistinguishable from reality. I want emotive, true-to-life characters. I want dynamic, volumetric, soft-shadowed lighting. I want true reflection and refraction. I want to see tesselation used to make models with no discernible polygons. I want physics that makes me feel "there". I want pre-rendered quality.

Most of us have tens-of-thousands of MHz available, gigs of memory to spare, graphics hardware of unprecendented power, and terabytes of storage.

Show me what all this hardware is really capable of.

Surely -this- is not the best we can do:

http://www.skyrimportal.com/media/blogs/skyrim/skyrim02.jpg

... is it?

-J

Back