CS 1.6 unnatural ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaPhoenix

I'm having problems with my Counter-Strike 1.6...
I can play CS: Condition Zero and Source without problems, but in 1.6 i have a constant ping of around 100.

I have an average download rate of 875 kb/sec, so i don't see why my ping should be THAT high with a connection like mine.

MY computers stats:

it's an Acer Extensa 5230 with:

2 GHZ
2 GB RAM
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit (x86)
Intel 4 series graphic card (forgot it's name)

Can anybody help me?

we need more information on your pc specs, telling us the speed and a 4 series card is simply not enough.

well:

I'm on a 8-MBit connection, usually only myself connected.
I can run a lot of games with out lag... (Mirrors Edge, CS:S, TF2, L4D etc. Mainly games that requires a lot of your computer) but it somehow can't run CS 1.6...
My network card is a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet card.

Well, its probably not a hardware problem, since its isolated to 1.6.

Are you experiencing freezing or just terrible lag while playing?

First lets try some easy netcode tweaks, gotfrag has a great explanation, as well as prewritten commands, which i actually don't really like.

If your using a custom config you should know what to do (you should also already have these commands O.o), if not, just copy and paste the appropriate commands:

*If sv_maxrate is 10000 then you should use rate 10000�
*If sv_maxrate is 0 and sv_lan is 0 then you should use 25000
*If sv_maxrate is 0 and sv_lan is 1 then you should use 10000 or 9999

Also if sv_maxupdaterate is 30 (default in 1.6) then you should use 30 updaterate, otherwise you will be sending extra packets.

type them into a text document in notepad or something, save it as a valid file name and as a CFG (netCodeTweaks.cfg) and put that in your CS1.6/cstrike folder.

Go into the game, bring up the console, and type "exec NAMEOFCONFIGFILEGOESHERE.cfg", obviously renaming the cfg into whatever you saved it as.

I can use Autoexec.cfg here right?
(i mean for the "exec NAMEOFCONFIGFILEGOESHERE.cfg" command, so i don't have to type that when i start the game? In case it wont save my settings like other times i close CS)

Oh yeah sure, just make sure you put it in a config that will execute. I use source, so i don't exactly know which one that should be in 1.6.

Just to let you know, this probably won't work, but its easy, so i think its worth a try. Even if it doesn't work, when you finally get your internet working, it will help.

Who said my internet doesn't work?
It works just fine, the only problem is CS 1.6
Anyways, i tried your commands (along with some others) and i managed to lower my average ping by 5-10 points (impressive right? :haha: )
so now it's just below 90, but not below 85... Still not okay...
Any other ideas? And i would also like to have some help with my Router Problem... (Check a little bit down the PC Gaming and Consoles page...) It really sucks not being able to host anything, since i make maps, but have no way to test them out... (Warcraft 3)

Who said my internet doesn't work?
It works just fine, the only problem is CS 1.6
Anyways, i tried your commands (along with some others) and i managed to lower my average ping by 5-10 points (impressive right? )

Yeah thats what i ment, and nope, I have no idea

Oh yeah, if your getting the latency too high thing on blizzard games, you should open port 6112 for starcraft for both TCP and UDP, and 6112 - 6119 for war3, again TCP and UDP.

Play a game or host a game?
You should not host games properly (you should get the latency error) if your ports are not forwarded.

Oh yeah, if your getting the latency too high thing on blizzard games, you should open port 6112 for starcraft for both TCP and UDP, and 6112 - 6119 for war3, again TCP and UDP.

BTW, I have no further ideas about your CS 1.6 lag :/.

Reply hellokitty[hk]:
And if i don't have ANY firewalls activated when trying to host?

Reply uksquall:
i already tried that...

Reply hellokitty[hk]:
And if i don't have ANY firewalls activated when trying to host?
Firewalls don't have anything to do with it unless its actively blocking your packets. You won't be able to properly host blizzard games without forwarding your ports. I had that problem before myself.

It depends on your modem or router, but most work in the same way.
What you should do is go to website " 192.168.0.1" or " 192.168.1.1" or "192.168.2.1", whichever brings you to your router's screen.

Log in, if there is no password set it, just leave it blank. Navigate your internet, and forward/open ports 6112 - 6119 on both TCP and UDP. If you cannot do both TCP and UDP you will have to make two connections, one TCP and one UDP.

I have been told to use a static Ip, but apparently you don't need to.

Well, after you login, i don't know how your UI is set up, but you would go to your port forwarding screen (Mine is in the advanced tab) and fill out the form like mine, except you would obviously put warcraft3 and open ports 6112-6119, again for both TCP and UDP. The green part is my Ip address and the 267 is...actually im not sure, i think it might be part of your IP.

If you get lost, you can always google it.

Open%20your%20Blizzard%20game%20ports%20-%20February%2026%2C%202009.JPG

you made some errors in your post but i see what you mean :D

(The number is 257, not 267. And it's NOT part of your ip, because the highest number you can have in your ip is 255.)

Thanks anyways. I'll see if i can fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back