Customers complain that Copilot isn't as good as ChatGPT, Microsoft blames misunderstanding and misuse

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Microsoft is doing everything it can to force people into using its Copilot AI tools, whether they want to or not. According to a new report, several customers have reported a problem: it doesn't perform as well as ChatGPT. But Microsoft believes the issue lies with people who aren't using Copilot correctly or don't understand the differences between the two products.

Microsoft's tactics when it comes to pushing Copilot onto users are comparable to its Windows 10 and 11 upgrade campaigns. The Redmond giant has launched a Pro subscription, is quietly installing the Copilot app on Windows PCs, and recently released the new Surface Pro 10 and Surface Laptop 6 with dedicated Copilot buttons.

Despite these efforts, Copilot is far from universally loved. According to Business Insider, which cites employees with direct knowledge of customer feedback, one of the top complaints about the tool is that it simply isn't as good as ChatGPT.

"Every time a customer starts using it, they start comparing it to ChatGPT and saying, 'Aren't you guys using the same technology?'" one of the people said.

Microsoft employees told BI that Copilot for Microsoft 365, the version that has reached most customers so far, has received mixed to slightly positive feedback.

One complaint that has repeatedly been raised by customers is that Copilot doesn't compare to ChatGPT. Microsoft says this is because customers don't understand the differences between the two products: Copilot for Microsoft 365 is built on the Azure OpenAI model, combining OpenAI's large language models with user data in the Microsoft Graph and the Microsoft 365 apps. Microsoft says this means its tools have more restrictions than ChatGPT, including only temporarily accessing internal data before deleting it after each query.

Some customers are also said to be confused as to why the "work" version of Copilot doesn't offer the same speed and detail as the "web" version. Microsoft is introducing a toggle so users can quickly switch between the two versions to understand when web data or internal data is being queried.

In addition to blaming customers' apparent ignorance, Microsoft employees say many users are just bad at writing prompts. "If you don't ask the right question, it will still do its best to give you the right answer and it can assume things," one worker said. "It's a copilot, not an autopilot. You have to work with it," they added, which sounds like a slogan Microsoft should adopt in its marketing for Copilot.

The employee added that Microsoft has hired partner BrainStorm, which offers training for Microsoft 365, to help create instructional videos to help customers create better Copilot prompts. Microsoft itself has also provided lots of support on how to create prompts for its AI tools, but it seems some users are still struggling.

Permalink to story.

Most people misunderstanding of the application is that they think anything with Ai is supposed to understand everything the user wants to do with it.

We have become so spoiled by an assistance interface that Ai currently is in the most part.

I can understand frustration when the AI you paid for doesn’t perform as well as the FREE one that is based on the same technology…

As a procurement officer, I initially found Copilot to be effective upon its release, but over time, its performance deteriorated. I utilized Bingchat for price checks and compiling results into a table, which saved me hours of work by easily pasting it back into Excel. However, after about a month, it began to only check the prices of the first 5 or 10 items. Copilot is lazy

Most people misunderstanding of the application is that they think anything with Ai is supposed to understand everything the user wants to do with it.

We have become so spoiled by an assistance interface that Ai currently is in the most part.
Agreed. People expect AI to think for them, at least, IMO, that's what AI's marketing blather is meant to lead people to believe. But no marketing blather would ever mention that AI should really stand for Absent Intelligence, IMO.

IF people cannot think for themselves, they should not expect AI to think for them.

I definitely have found ChatGPT’s tone to be more human like, whereas Copilot tends to be lazy, slow to load, uses too many emojis, refuse commands, and gets frustrated easily.

This is what happens when you aggresively market is as 'AI' and banging on about AI pca when you haven't educated your audience and been honest about what it actually is and how it functions....

Microsoft is a slow turning and immensely long train. ChatGPT's (bus? car?) is much smaller and can react faster. Copilot will always be catching up. Microsoft is too big.

Maybe the issue is that MS has not actually explained what it is actually useful for. They just add it to windows yet zero useful info on what to do with it. I am a heavy ChatGPT user, and I just don't know exactly what MS expects me to do with Copilot. I went to the MS Copilot page and it is just a bunch of marketing fluff.

"Copilot in Windows is an AI-powered assistant that helps you get answers and inspirations from across the web, supports creativity and collaboration, and helps you focus on the task at hand."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/copilot-ai-features

I did find this page, which is a bit better, but still doesn't really encourage me to use it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-675708af-8c16-4675-afeb-85a5a476ccb0

Microsoft once again attempting to convince the general public that they actually design products around the needs of users. Copilot is designed to be way more useful to Microsoft than it is to users.

I definitely have found ChatGPT’s tone to be more human like, whereas Copilot tends to be lazy, slow to load, uses too many emojis, refuse commands, and gets frustrated easily.

Seems even older tech is getting worse or lazy - eg even google search or hey google/alexa whatever .
I think they have dumbed them down to just good enough for most people , to save server and energy costs.

We really will need a front-end in future to probe these resources better . Think Apples trying to offload work onto peoples phones to save money

Seems even older tech is getting worse or lazy - eg even google search or hey google/alexa whatever .
I think they have dumbed them down to just good enough for most people , to save server and energy costs.

We really will need a front-end in future to probe these resources better . Think Apples trying to offload work onto peoples phones to save money

Except I actually want Apple to offload those tasks to my phone. I'm far more comfortable with local processing and cloud processing. Also, iPhone is hella fast and can easily handle the load. I'm happy with a trade-off of battery life for privacy...still don't have Siri turned on tho, never saw the need.

So, you are saying that Copilot is more like a real person?

ChatGPT sucks at writing code for niche languages. The CoPilot built into VSCode is not perfect, but a gazillion times better.

Last night I asked Copilot if I could buy a German dairy product called schmand in the UK and it kept telling me what it was rather than just answer the yes/no question. "Can I buy schmand in the UK?" isn't a difficult question if it couldn't find it for sale anywhere on the internet the answer was "no".

AI will mean the demise of thinking.
Too many comments in forums and youtube videos shows "thinking" isn't something people do when considering anything.

Wanting to share how they feel about something is much more important than searching for any information about the subject before forming an opinion.

Perhaps AI will make it so easy even the laziest person will look up some objective data before sharing an uninformed opinion.

I needed a list of dog breads with a semicolon on each line and it did just fine, though it was missing some, I had on my pastebin list that was down at the time.

Except I actually want Apple to offload those tasks to my phone. I'm far more comfortable with local processing and cloud processing. Also, iPhone is hella fast and can easily handle the load. I'm happy with a trade-off of battery life for privacy...still don't have Siri turned on tho, never saw the need.

Yeah I hate Apple , but I concur . I think this will ramp up , with these new chips and extra memory eg QUALCOMM's new one .
I mean you can download maps , why not highly refined models .
English to French . Mathematics whatever .
You would definitely want a local model as a personal assistance . If can evolve , adapt , learn new skills from its parent
If could sift through searches quite quickly , refining them in the back ground.

I mean large local databases in 1980s promoted themselves on meeting the requested criteria . People born between 1956-60 born in Alabama , now living in California , not married . It's just data entry was painful back then . But now a iPhone is much much quicker and more memory.

Back