DDR4 coming? Or what is fastest RAM I can get?

spydercanopus

When is DDR4 likely to float up into the market? I'm needing to build a PC with the fastest working memory possible while still remaining 100% stable while running 24/7/365.

If it's going to be over 3 months, what would be my best option for the absolute fastest RAM on the market by that time? I plan to air cool, but will throw a big fan on top of the RAM modules for added stability.

It's a bit early to tell whether a DDR4 will hit this year. But of course, there're plenty of powerful RAM to choose from. I prefer both Corsair or G.Skill, because they have gaming potential. And some of the features are probably good overclocking, and longevity.

As far as I'm concerned, Samsung has manufactured a DDR4 module already, maybe last year.

RAM speed is pretty much irrelevant for Sandy and Ivy Bridge systems, the only gains you'll see are in benchmarks and real world performance gains are minimal. More RAM >> Faster RAM

You are unlikely to see DDR4 until early next year and it's unlikely to become readily available for another six months. So don't wait for it.

If you want to max out availability, then DDR4 isn't necessarily your answer. What you really want is ECC, so single bit memory errors don't cause crashes. This means you are looking for a workstation class motherboard and a Xeon processor. This will be dollars, but if you were looking at buying into the bleeding edge, then you've already priced in a premium.

You also want Enterprise class SSDs and HDDs, preferably mirrored for performance and availabilty, and if you can find an appropriate board, dual redundant power supplies.

Maybe there are better/more comprehensive reviews around than what I've found...
Fix yo links :) (your anandtech link like the one above both link to the TH's article)

I'd already discussed most of this with Spidercanopus via PM, but for future reference, this Anandtech article (and the How it works article it links to) aimed at Ivy Bridge is very comprehensive

Back