TechSpot

Delay in opening new programs at start-up

By stonarda
Feb 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I have recently finished my new computer build, and it runs like a treat! The only issues I have is that at start-up, there is a delay before any program will open. My specs are below:
    > AMD 8350 8 core @4GHz
    > Gigabyte HD 7950 graphics card
    > ASUS M5a99X Evo R2.0
    > OCZ 120GB SSD
    > Western Digital Green 1tb Hard Drive
    > 16GB 1866MHz RAM
    > Windows 7 64-bit
    > 880W PSU

At start-up, all the programs listed in the start-up folder and MSCONFIG utility all finish launching a few seconds after logging in. However, I am not able to run any program such and IE9/Firefox/Steam/Inventor Fusion until around 20/30 seconds have passed, and the widget will not come up until the 20/30 second period. IOf I am to 'spam' the IE9 shortucut 10 times, after the 20/30 second period, 10 IE9's will launch immediately. I am completely baffled, and am wondering if anyone knows how to fix this.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

What anti-virus are you running and is it configured to scan programs at launch?

3. stonarda

stonarda TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 182   +17

It isn't, no but it is avast antivirus - the free version! :)

4. jobeard

I run that too. On my laptop (has an led for disk I/o) if I disconnect the ethernet cable and reboot, I notice a LOT of I/o
    activity even with the login icons present and prior to clicking & loging on. If I wait for that to stop (20-40 sec), the system is quite responsive. If I attempt to login asap, then system is sluggish until the aforementioned I/o is quiesced.

(Win/7 Pro 64bin 4gb ram).

5. stonarda

stonarda TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 182   +17

Oh ok, so it is the antivirus? :) Thanks for this!

6. jobeard

Not at all sure - - just reporting what I experience :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.