Dell: Adamo XPS is a limited edition engineering marvel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Responding to reports around the Web, Dell has clarified the disappearance of its Adamo XPS notebook. In a statement to Tech Radar, company explained that its ultraportable is "similar to a limited edition" offering, and was never intended to be a long-term product. Dell added that the Adamo XPS is an "engineering marvel" meant to show off the company's capabilities.

While the system may be nearing the end of its run, the company noted that a $2,000 configuration is still available through Best Buy, and UK customers can buy an Adamo XPS through John Lewis. The original Adamo is also available on AdamoByDell.co.uk with a starting price of £1,099.

Some will surely read Dell's explanation as spin. After all, the Adamo XPS wasn't declared a special edition product at launch. Between its novel design and hefty price tag, it probably isn't flying off shelves either. Regardless, if you have any interest in the system, you might want to nab one before it's gone for good.

Permalink to story.

:):):) that is so funny. Nice going Dell to turn around a failure.
Too bad of the price tag because the name Adamo(I fall in love with) is really cool.

Lol. A limited edition computer at a limited edition price. I won't shed a single tear once it's gone.

Yeah. . . I'm not buying it. A "marvel" huh? Ok, it's a very nice, very thin-and-light system. But if it's such a marvel why is Apple selling a lot of their MacBook Air laptops, a very similar product, without such a declaration? Now we have word that MSI is getting into the ultra-thin-and-light market too. Maybe they should declare their newest laptop a marvel as well? Sounds kinda cool. Might make a great ad campaign. Thanks Dell. ;)

I'm not overly surprised by the price tag on this laptop, anyone remember 'old Dell'? That guy was always trying to overcharge things!

So, "Limited Edition" now means "clunky, uncomfortable, and impractical, but nice to look at" I guess? Glad Dell is there to sort it out for me.

What I do not understand about their explanation, is the part about dell "wanting to show off the company's capabilities." Who cares what abilities you have if you do not use them or stop using them?

This looks like to would wear out in a short amount of time. Good thing its a limited model. Dell might end up paying through the nose for repairs.

I really like that design..it seems very ergonomic. Have any other vendors done that? I wonder if it could be incorporated into a standard laptop, which could open up either in this manner or the conventional manner...

Still, 2k for a netbook is a guaranteed fail :(

Limited Edition?? rofl....
there are almost a dozen laptops existing that offer the same features as this so called LIMITED EDITION laptop offers! anyways they are trying to cover their mistakes! lol!
DELL wake up!

zyodei said:
I really like that design..it seems very ergonomic.

It's actually the opposite of ergonomic, since your wrists would be angled upward to type. I also imagine it would be terrible in your lap.

When it was launched at such high price points, my first feeling was how dell is not in tune with such harsh economic times, hence, no wonder, that during this short life span Adamo XPS wasn't really going anywhere. I think they are trying to cut losses and run, and it make business sense as well. I hope next time around they will be smarter and won't make such luxuriously stupid mistakes ;)

Special edition or not, it's still too expensive, doesn't look like it will sit on my lap easily and is kind of ugly, to be completely honest...

"Dell added that the Adamo XPS is an "engineering marvel" meant to show off the company's capabilities."

I think Dell under estimated the consumers' ability see the product for what it actually is. If I go to a bank or a store and I see employees using the Adamo XPS, then I know it is time to take my business some where else.

Funny thing is that if Dell said it was a "limited edition" to begin with they might have sold a few more than they have done instead of getting ridiculed.

Dell would have been better off just releasing pictures of it and calling it a "concept". Speaking of flashy designs, anyone remember the XPS M2010?

It's really kind of funny. When this laptop came out I heard a lot of commotion about it, like it was going to be the new standard, but now it seams that Dell was really just saying, "Hey, we can make cool laptops just like Apple, and we can put a bigger price tag on it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back