Dell Dimension 3000 Jaton GeForce 6200 PCI, is this good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i am have a Dell dimension 3000 and i have been loooking for a new graphics card for my computer so as to play better computer games such as and namely:

LOTR: battle for middle earth II. :approve:

I have read a quite a few forums on availiable pci cards (My computer does not have agp or pci-e slots)

and so far the 6200 has come out on top.

I have also read that 128-bit is better than 64-bit and that supposedly the 6200 version only comes in 64bit.

but i have found a 6200 with 256mb and 128-bit.

I am wondering if the Jaton GeForce 6200 (PCI, 256MB)

will preform at the top of the range for PCi based on the fact that it is a nvidia 6200 and that it is 128-bit?

Also will it be able to play battle for middle earth II, and is this brand a very shody and not to be trusted brand?

Please if somebody has this card could they please tell me how it preforms?

and anyone who has technical knowledge look at the specs and assess this card?

It would be much appreciated.

can't do a link because its my first post but its product number is VIDEO-338PCI-LP
and the page i'm referring to can be found on Shopper.cnet.com under:
Jaton GeForce 6200 (PCI, 256MB)

::eek:

here are the specs provided:

General

Device Type: Graphics adapter

Enclosure Type: Plug-in card

Vista Capability: This video card is capable of running the new Aero interface featured in Windows Vista Home Premium and higher.

Interface Type: PCI

Depth: 4.8 in

Height: 2.6 in

Processor / Memory

Graphics Processor / Vendor: NVIDIA GeForce 6200

RAMDAC Clock Speed: 400 MHz

Video Memory Installed: 256 MB

Technology: DDR SDRAM 128-bit

Video Input

Type: None

Video Output

Max Resolution (external): 2048 x 1536 / 60 Hz

Colors Max Resolution (external): 32-bit color

API Supported: OpenGL 1.5, DirectX 9.0

Expansion / Connectivity

Interfaces: 2 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ( On supplied cable )

Compatible Slots: 1 x PCI

Miscellaneous

Included Accessories: Low-profile bracket

Software / System Requirements

OS Required: Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows Vista

thanks all for reading
post if you may be able to help me please.

The Diamond Stealth Radeon X1550 PRO 256MB PCI will come out on top if you're looking at 128-bit PCI video cards =D

I THINK its the only X1550 128-bit video card.

Just do some research will ya?

drawz said:
6200 with 256mb if u can get it
6200 = Slower than X1550 PRO [128-bit by Diamond, just look at diamondmm.com under Stealth Video Cards and X1550 / X1550 PRO and click the PCI 256MB Version, it clearly says 128-bit.

get a 8500 GT PCI and you should be set to play most games except the really graphically intensive ones. I got mine off eBay and he still has some in stock. definitely worth it IMO, as I can't mobo swap now.

Well, raybay, I have no problem, but what was the point of that post?

Anyway, no, the bottom of the line computer was the 2400....

Also, I agree with teklord, I would go with the 8500, and if you can't get it, the X1550 128-bit is the best.

All, do we have to take into account the power supply for these cards. I believe the Dell Dimension 3000 (which I also have) only has 250watt supply.

What is the minimum wattage for the suggested cards?

The 3000 was simply not designed for this level of use. It has a good, but inadequate power supply, and a mediocre motherboard with a high failure rate. At a minimum, you will need to change out the power supply, for something in the 500W range. This motherboard was used in a large range of Dell Dimension and Optiplex computers in the "Home, Basic, Budget" range It is the highest failure board Dell has ever used, and doesn't seem to be able to handle hardware changes smoothly. Cooling will also be an issue.

Thanks Raybay,

I've been doing some digging and it looks like (to my non-expert eyes anyway) like the following are MINIMUM power requirements for cards:

FX5200 - 250 watts
FX5500 - 250 watts
6200 - 300 watts
ATi 1550 - 420 watts
ATi 9250 - 250 watts
8500 GT - (I can't find out, but will update if I find it)

Dell_Confused said:
Thanks Raybay,

I've been doing some digging and it looks like (to my non-expert eyes anyway) like the following are MINIMUM power requirements for cards:

FX5200 - 250 watts
FX5500 - 250 watts
6200 - 300 watts
ATi 1550 - 420 watts
ATi 9250 - 250 watts
8500 GT - (I can't find out, but will update if I find it)

8500 GT is 250 watts also. Definitely invest in additional internal cooling system and a larger power supply, as mine runs over 80 degrees Celsius when overclocked according to GPU-Z. Awesome GPU nonetheless that seemingly defies PCI bus expectations!

Yeah i know its safe but its still not good for the card.

Ever thought of using rivatuner or something to change the fan speeds?

Minimum power is MINIMUM. If you rely on Minimum you are getting the video graphics you need to run Office, Excel, and email. That is NOT adequate power to drive video graphics and the other opterations for photo editing, DVD, simple movies, etc.
You want that 170l or 170Xl motherboard to run in that Dell 3000 with that graphics card, you most certainly must have 400 watts on up.....
Good luck.

Thanks again for your help.
I'm a real novice here, is there anything I need to know about buying a power supply for my Dell Dimension 3000?
And what benefits would buying the 170I or 170IX motherboard give me? Would I still be able to use my others components like RAM (2GB), CPU, etc.?

Thanks.

Just make sure the dimensions are the same in millimeters - height, width, length... and that it is an ATX power supply, or ATX capable. It is OK if it has extra wires, plugs and socket you do not need to use, as long as it is an ATX configuration.
Look at the guide on this forum to see recommendations by brand. It is possible to buy a very high powered power supply cheaply. It is better to get better quality over high wattage. Better quality power supplies, as named on that guide, will provide more steady and reliable output on all three rails that will work better even though they have lower wattage. Some low priced power supplies such as those made by FSP group are excellent, as are Sparkle, most Antecs...
This is not as easy as it sounds as their are 87 brands and models of power supplies... and perhaps half of them are not worth the money. Some online dealers such as Directron do their best to sell only decent power supplies... or a recommendation from a good store can help. In general, though, those listed in the guide will work well.

hellokitty[hk] said:
Yeah i know its safe but its still not good for the card.

Ever thought of using rivatuner or something to change the fan speeds?

I've read bad things about adjusting the fan speed with RivaTuner. My PC is old(bought in early 2004) and I am hesitant to make the fan run faster, despite it possibly helping, it still seems risky. Investing in additional internal cooling seems the way to go, as well as a little tweak with RivaTuner, if I'm feeling bold.

Definitely upgrade your PSU as well as the other posts suggest. I don't like OC'ing my GPU with this 250 W power supply and I always set it back to default when I exit any game.

and perhaps half of them are not worth the money.
i would say more than half. Corsair's owns!!

Minimum power is MINIMUM. If you rely on Minimum you are getting the video graphics you need to run Office, Excel, and email. That is NOT adequate power to drive video graphics and the other opterations for photo editing, DVD, simple movies, etc.

wait so wtf? minumum is not enough to run it on maximum?!?!

oh #@$#*@ that makes me feel like crap......
my newest build had a 9600GT and a 380W antec earthwatts...is that enough?
Im running my E4600 at 3.0ghz occasionaly and i sometimes OC my gpu...When i bought my system, i was most worried about my power supply.

But it is a great powersupply and i do recomend it to dell confused if its compatible.

I was told DELL under rate there power supplies so a 300 watt 6200 works fine on my PC that has stated 230 watt.

are there any nice cards for 230 watt power supply.

?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back