Dell Dimesion 2400 upgrade questions

hi, first post, my friends are tired of me asking these stupid questions. my 2004 dell dimesion has a P4 2.4ghz cpu. is there any simple way to improve the cpu ? if so can i just drop it in? i have 2 dimm slots. 1/2 gig each. will two 1 gig sticks make a difference? if so, can i use pc3200 or do i need pc2700, or are they interchangeable? thankyou.

According to your system specs you can have a maximum of 2GB of memory DDR SDRAM.

The supported CPU's are:

Intel® Pentium® 4 that runs at 2.2 or 2.4 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally, or 2.266, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533 MHz externally.

Intel Celeron® that runs at 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, or 2.7 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally.

A faster CPU will speed up your system but with a maximum increase to the Pentium 4 at 3.06 don't expect to notice a huge difference.

Increasing memory to 2GB will only notice when you run programs that use a lot of memory.

You can use the faster memory modules but they will underclock themselves to the fastest speed that the motherboard can support.

you can use pc3200 on a motherboard that only supports pc 2700?

When i put in my pc3200 ddr RAM in, it just makes a long non-stop beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppp sound and it does not start up. Whats the problem there?

here's another dummie question;
does my old dell dimension 2400 (with pc2770 ram)
use high or low density ram ?
what is the difference?
will either work with my box?

Winterwolf1223.

You should start a new thread for this question but this quick answer might solve your problem. I think it is highly likely that the RAM stick is faulty or incompatible.

Use the tools on the first page to advise you on the memory you can use.

http://www.crucial.com/

I believe high density isnt fully compatible, because when I put a 1GB high density RAM into my Dimension 2400 it only reads half the 1GB.

Back