Dell Inspiron 15 7567 freeze problems /w solution

needhelp51

I had the following problem: my Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 computer (7000 series) used to freeze at seemingly random moments. Definition of freezing for this case: I still see open applications, the desktop and everything, but the mouse cursor freezes up and normal operation of the computer becomes impossible. This used to happen like once or twice a day during a few months. Over time, I realized this mostly happened while the AC adaptor was connected. By chance, I found that the computer could be "unfrozen" by unplugging and replugging the AC adapter. because before that, I was rebooting each time. But despite that band-aid measure, it was still a major pain in the neck. Yesterday, it happened like ten times over an hour. I decided to dig into this issue to find a permanent solution. Another lesser symptom that my computer was showing was that the power mode seemed to switch automatically, on some occasion, from the AC source to the battery then back to AC without my asking and without apparent failure of the AC adapter itself. All the problems I have been having, and have solved, in the recent month (fuzzy sound, headphones not detected, Microsoft Picture Viewer failure, etc.) had something to do with conflicts between packaged Dell bloatware, updates of Dell bloatware, leftovers of bloatware removed by Dell, Dell drivers updates and effects of Windows 10 Updates on the aforementioned items. So a little voice in my head suggested me that the power issue might also be related to one of the above factors. I found a solution that worked magic for me. I'm not an IT expert, so it might, repeat, might be coincidental, but I'll gladly follow-up on my own post if the problem ever comes back. The solution below is quite easy and fully reversible. So feel free to try it for yourself and see if it works for you. Let me just point out that this solution does NOT apply to the frozen GRAY screen that some have reported, that's not the issue I have observed at all! So, here's the suspected culprit for my problem and its alleged solution. It seems that my Dell Inspiron came bundled with a bloatware called "Dell Power Management Lite". This is quite self-explanatory: a Power management application. You can find that bastage app by searching your computer for an application with that name. Open that app. Now look what you have under "Battery setting". If you see "Adaptative" (which seemed to be the default option for me), at any cost, please switch it to "Primarily AC use". For reference, I left the 'Advanced charge' thingy off as it was. That's it, that's all. The computer behavior went from 'dying patient' to 'dashing leopard' in a heartbeat. No more freeze-ups, no more random power mode auto-switchups. It feels like a new computer! Thanks again to Dell for being useless in helping. They point to a 12-point freeze-up trouble-shooting procedure that ends with system restore or windows reinstall. Ahem, seriously? I tried to post this solution on Dell support forum but they censored it. I guess they want people to keep paying 200$ for repairs on unnecessary issues. So, if this can help other puzzled and stranded Dell users, I'll be so glad. This post can be marked as solved :).

Back