Dell intros Windows 8 business tablet with swappable battery

Matthew DeCarlo

As with every other PC maker, Dell is preparing for next month's Windows 8 launch with a slew of touch-enabled devices, including a new business-oriented tablet. At first glance, the Latitude 10 appears to be just another black rectangle, but Dell has incorporated many enterprise features, including a user-swappable battery, a dock for improved productivity and Dell Data Protection Encryption (DDPE) for drive security.

The 10.1-incher carries an Intel Clover Trail SoC, 2GB of RAM, up to 128GB of flash storage and a 30WHr battery. Although some folks will be disappointed by the Latitude 10's 1366x768 display, Dell has at least opted for a Gorilla Glass-protected IPS panel with wide viewing angles as well as a decent brightness, according to some hands-on accounts. The device also supports 10-point multitouch and an optional Wacom stylus.

dell latitude

Other features include a 720p webcam up front, an 8-megapixel camera in back, one full-size USB port, a Micro-USB charging port, a Mini-HDMI port, a headphone/microphone jack, a proprietary docking port, a Micro-SIM slot and a card reader to expand on the integrated storage. The dock/stand provides the Latitude with desktop-like functionality via four USB 2.0 ports, gigabit Ethernet, as well as HDMI and audio outputs.

The device measures 0.4 inches thick and weighs about 1.5 pounds with the stock 30WHr battery, though Dell will also offer a 60WHr unit. As mentioned, the battery is changeable and it seems easy enough to accomplish, requiring users to slide a small latch on the back, much like a laptop. Naturally, Dell plans to ship the Latitude 10 alongside Windows 8 in October, but the company hasn't disclosed pricing yet.

Permalink to story.

I haven't bought a Dell product in a long while but.... I won't buy a phone that does NOT have a replaceable battery- This option will p ut Del on the map for my tablet purchace!!!

Still the main issue with Intel tablets is the fact they need cooling assistance from a fan which normally ends up adding to the thickness and weight of the device. This is always a bad thing as more thickness does allow beefier components but its still a league behind light weight slim line tablets which many consumers current want.

I'm sure you missed the part about this being an, "Intel Clover Trail SoC". A.K.A. No fan. This is not an i3, i5 or an i7 mobile processor, it's an SoC! Come now, it's OK to admit that you were wrong :)

Do you have a source for that claim. The last time I saw an Intel based tablet it did not have any active cooling.

Im hoping to get myself at least an i3 tablet. reason is none of atom-based PC I've used before offer reasonable amount of speed for what I am doing. on the other hand, an i3 ultrabook easily fulfills most of my criteria and it's probably a little hotter (therefore thicker). since it's an i3, I believe the price won't be as high as i5 or i7.

Well you see Dell is smart they put the center button on the Apple left side so no law suits!!! YAY

Back