Dell taking orders for XPS 13 2-in-1 featuring Intel's 10nm Ice Lake

onetheycallEric

Staff
In brief: Intel's long overdue 10nm chips are here in the form of Ice Lake-U, and Dell is Intel's first partner to offer designs sporting the new processors. With orders shipping in September, it appears Intel and its OEMs will more than beat the holiday 2019 deadline for Ice Lake availability.

Recently, Intel CEO Bob Swan confirmed that the chipmaker was on schedule to deliver the long awaited Ice Lake CPUs by Q4 2019, in time for holiday availability. However, it seems consumers will be able to get their hands on machines sporting Intel's 10nm CPUs well before the holiday shopping season.

Dell has started taking orders for its refreshed XPS 13 2-in-1. The new XPS, part of the 7390-series, comes equipped with Intel's first Ice Lake based chips built on the 10nm process node. Dell is initially offering configurations with the i3-1005G1, i5-1035G1, or i7-1065G7.

The new laptops feature CNC-machined silver or black aluminum, with a white or black carbon fiber-looking palm rest. Display wise, the XPS 13 2-in-1 offers a 13.4" LCD panel with refined InfinityEdge technology. As we've previously reported, Dell did away with the loathed "chin cam" and opted for top panel placement.

The XPS 13 2-in-1 can be configured with up to 32GB of embedded LPDDR4X-3733 memory, as well as a PCIe SSD up to 1TB. Connectivity options include amenities such as a Killer AX1650 Wi-Fi 6 with Bluetooth 5.0, Thunderbolt 3, a microSD card reader, and USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C.

Elsewhere, Dell made changes internally, using a more compact motherboard as to make the the laptops 7% thinner than previous models. The new XPS 13 2-in-1 will also boast a new cooling system, making use of dual fans, vapor chambers, and GORE thermal insulation.

Dell's new XPS 13 2-in-1 is also among the first to be verified through Intel's Project Athena, sporting the unique “Engineered for Mobile Performance” badge. Prices start at $999 for an i3-1005G1 with 4GB of memory paired with a 256GB PCIe SSD. Orders appear to be shipping in early September.

Permalink to story.

Seriously? As much as RAM and the Processor's have dropped in price I think they could do a lot better! It won't be making an appearance under MY Christmas tree this year .....

Il be buying one, this new 10nm stuff is awesome.
the only impressive thing about Intels lineup this year is the project Athena specifications if they're true to what they claimed. The biggest jump 10nm gave to intel was on the gpu side cpu is close to what we've had in previous years.

With that being said AMD is releasing 7nm Zen 2 laptops this year or Q1 2020 so competition from both side will be appreciated :)

the only impressive thing about Intels lineup this year is the project Athena specifications if they're true to what they claimed. The biggest jump 10nm gave to intel was on the gpu side cpu is close to what we've had in previous years.

With that being said AMD is releasing 7nm Zen 2 laptops this year or Q1 2020 so competition from both side will be appreciated :)
Well there is also an 18% IPC boost which makes Intel’s 10nm stuff the most IPC than any chip ever made.

I bought and returned a Ryzen 5 laptop last year. A Lenovo Yoga 500 series. It performed fine and everything but used battery nearly 3 times faster than the Intel equivalent I replaced it with. Until AMD can make a mobile chip that doesn’t guzzle power I don’t think Intel have any competition.

As I fully expected, the low and mid range configs get the lowest end iGPU, even though now Intel is finally offering a decent range of iGPU options at the low end. In this case, the increase from 24 to 32 EUs along with the much higher memory bandwith (2400 vs 3733MHz) will still make these better than the past few years' models but *all* of Intel's iGPU marketing was comparing the 24 EU to the new 64 EU setup as if that was going to be the new standard.

It is not, and this Dell offering is good evidence of that. The only reason Dell has the 64 EU in the i7 is that's the only option.

Well there is also an 18% IPC boost which makes Intel’s 10nm stuff the most IPC than any chip ever made.

I bought and returned a Ryzen 5 laptop last year. A Lenovo Yoga 500 series. It performed fine and everything but used battery nearly 3 times faster than the Intel equivalent I replaced it with. Until AMD can make a mobile chip that doesn’t guzzle power I don’t think Intel have any competition.
Well you're comparing an AMD 2000 series against the 3000 series so.... Heck, it could be a 1000 series

Last edited:
$999?? Just 8 Gig RAM? And a "huge"...13" inch screen??

Ah yes, nothing beats buying Dell's over-priced proprietary junk.

Well you're comparing an AMD 2000 series against the 3000 series so.... Heck, it could be a 1000 series
I’m comparing the models that Lenovo had available for sale at the time. However I would point out that the reviews didn’t really say how bad the battery life is, they mentioned it was worse than Intel’s but didn’t say it was that bad! It was a 2xxx series, a new model, garbage either way, I hope the 3xxx parts show a significant improvement for AMDs sake.

If Dell offers a barebone of this laptop without SSD, RAM or OS for $599, it will be more appealing...

And a "huge"...13" inch screen??

You understand that smaller screens (and therefore smaller laptops) command a price premium as well right?

You understand that a laptop with a 17" screen is more expensive than one with a 13" screen.....and hence commands a price premium, right??
Maybe you should look at prices before you reply next time.

If Dell offers a barebone of this laptop without SSD, RAM or OS for $599, it will be more appealing...
As it is a Windows machine, there should be big discounts in the future. Dell doesn't sell barebone laptops afaik, although I have heard the SSD and RAM is soldered, so this would be impossible in this case.

You understand that a laptop with a 17" screen is more expensive than one with a 13" screen.....and hence commands a price premium, right??

Based on this logic phones should be cheap as chips as they only have a 6" screen.

Based on this logic phones should be cheap as chips as they only have a 6" screen.

Apples vs oranges, nice try.
And based on your logic, a Timex watch (1 inch screen) should be more expensive than a smart phone...!
Try again.

Apples vs oranges, nice try.

Glad you brought out the fruit. If you could see how a 13" ultrabook is different to a 17" desktop replacement we wouldn't be having this argument.

In any case I don't see the point continuing this line of conversation.

Back