Dell to fix defective Alienware M11x hinges in March

By Matthew
Jan 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The Alienware M11x caught some negative press last year after owners began complaining about the pint-sized gaming notebook's hinges. Many customers say the hinges deteriorate quickly with regular use and according to Notebook Review, the issue stems from misaligned hinges. This causes various undesirable effects and eventually leads to the hinge dislocating, cracking or snapping.

Read the whole story
  2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

Well when someone pays almost a thousand dollars for a laptop they expect it to be sturdy. This is just sad.
  3. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

Dont forget that Alienwares have Dells genes now :<
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

This is actually a pretty common issue across many brands and price ranges. I definitely agree with Princeton though, if you pay north of a thousand dollars for a laptop, this kind of poor craftsmanship/engineering is unacceptable. Honestly, it shouldn't matter what you pay for a laptop... the basics shouldn't have these issues, especially in a year or less.
  5. Dell laptops with hinge problems?! Surely you jest!
  6. Alienware used to be a lot better on its own, now comes Dell and screws up the best brand of laptop. In my experience I always had issues/problems with Dell, that's why I never buy stuff from Dell, I either build them or buy from good reputation companies like HP, ASUS, Gigabyte and so forth.
  7. /Sarcasm MASTER SWITCH ON

Dell using sub-par components? Never seen them do that before.

Damn that switch was heavy!
  8. ok, now i'm scared to close my acer aspire 4741g...