TechSpot

Dell unveils sandboxed version of Firefox

By Jos
Jul 20, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Dell is hoping to make web browsing a safer experience for corporate and home users with the release of a modified Firefox build that can reportedly keep malware locked into the browser itself, rather than infecting the whole operating system. The new software is simply dubbed 'Secure Browser' and comes courtesy of KACE, a system management solutions firm Dell acquired earlier this year.

Read the whole story

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

I wonder how this compares to just using Sandboxie (what I use).

3. PaulWuzHere

PaulWuzHere TS Maniac Posts: 378

A platform made standard like this will hopefully better protect the average user. I hope adoption rate is good and that other OEMs make the same move.

4. LightHeart

LightHeart TS Rookie Posts: 155

If only x64 versions would be released...

5. I'm am stunned a firefox version was released before IE.

We are making progress people finally!

6. Would be a good idea, but, knowing Dell, it will greenlight all of Dell's annoying ad's LOL.
    Also, why no x64 bit?
    I also use a sandboxed version of firefox when I feel the need to visit a "questionable" website.

7. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,686   +60

Great idea.

8. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

No 64-Bit? I'm sure most of DELL's computers are being sold with Win 7 64-Bit by default so I wonder why no 32-Bit support.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.