Deutsche Telekom: Windows Phone 7 sold excellently

Emil

Staff

Deutsche Telekom, the largest telecommunications company in Europe, has come out and voiced its thoughts on Windows Phone 7. The statements are in stark contrast to the negative comments made by LG last week.

Ingo Hofacker, Head of Consumer Marketing at Deutsche Telekom, told the Deutschland version of Yahoo News (via WMPoweruser) that Windows Phone 7 handsets sold by the company were in fact selling excellently. He said that the company was ahead of ahead of budget and that Microsoft was very pleased.

Deutsche Telekom used to be the carrier with iPhone exclusivity in Germany. The carrier is currently selling two Windows Phone 7 devices: the Samsung Omnia 7 and the HTC Mozart.

In slightly related news, Sony Ericsson is reportedly showing interest in Windows Phone 7. This has been rumored for a long time, but while Sony partners with Microsoft in many areas, it is more of a competitor in the entertainment side of the market, and we have yet to see any confirmation that the OEM would go with the software giant's latest mobile OS. Windows Phone 7 devices are reportedly in the in the 2011 pipeline for the company, however, according to sources from Taiwan-based handset makers cited by DigiTimes.

Permalink to story.

Interesting, the following quote is from an article on Fudzilla a couple of days ago titled Windows Mobile 7 will upset the status quo.

Beancounters at the analyst outfit Ovum have warned not to write off Microsoft from the mobile market. The outfit said that Windows Phone 7 (WP7) will ‘upset the status quo' in the smartphone market in 2011.

Maybe the guys over at Ovem know what they're talking about.

The software is beast. With options like cut and paste that MS never had originally WP7 will definitely take off. I also think WP7 will be good when it targets the teen market, because of the xbox live integrated functionality.

I haven't really toyed around with a modern Windows Phone, but I'm a lot more interested post release than I was pre-release.

Despite Microsoft's past stumbles in the mobile market, anyone who writes off Windows Phone 7 as not being able to compete in an Android-dominated market is seriously deluding himself. Microsoft can bring a tremendous amount of resources to bear now that they have decided to make fresh inroads into the market. I, for one, don't believe that it is a coincidence that their mobile and desktop operating systems share the same version number. Microsoft clearly wants their mobile OS to be as successful as it's desktop counterpart.

I have the LG Quantum, and I can tell you right WP7 is solid OS. Scratch that, it's an amazing OS. Mainly because it's so different. And it's incredibly easy to use. The faster they update it, the faster it will get on top. If you doubt that last part, then you are delusional.

Selling excellent in GERMANY, thats great but how are sales in the rest of the world? Look i admit that win7 phones have allot of potential but to think it will be competitve with 2 very well established operating systems like Android and iOS is, AT THIS STAGE IN TIME, even with all of MS resources, is pretty niave. Maybe in a few years, plus last i checked Google and Apple have substantial resources of their own

Back