Diablo Immortal earns almost $50 million in its first month, still has lowest user score...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Diablo Immortal, which Metacritic users continue to rank as the worst game of all time, is making at least $1 million per day for Blizzard and brought in almost $50 million during its first post-launch month.

According to data from AppMagic published by MobileGamer.biz, Diablo Immortal had generated $48.9 million by day 30 after it launched on June 2. That's what went to Blizzard; it doesn't include the 30% commission taken by Apple and Google, so the actual amount people spent on the game in this period would have been even higher.

Diablo Immortal also managed to rack up 10 million downloads in its first month, though it should be noted that most of these came in its first four days after launch—downloads declined quite sharply after that initial period. Revenue income peaked on June 11 when Diablo Immortal made $2.4 million, but even today, the game is making more than $1 million daily.

For comparison, Apex Legends Mobile generated $11.6 million for EA in the first 30 days, though Respawn Entertainment's game was downloaded 21.8 million times.

Last month brought news that Diablo Immortal had earned over $24 million in its first two weeks despite having the lowest user score for a PC game (0.3) in Metacritic history. It still holds that unwanted title, sitting at number 12,490 in the user rankings.

While many people have hailed Diablo Immortal as a pretty good mobile title, the caveat is a microtransaction model that is almost unprecedented in its aggressiveness. It had been estimated that fully upgrading a character would cost around $100,000, but the actual amount is now thought to be about $300,000 to $600,000.

Permalink to story.

I'm a huge diablo fan. I've played every game as they came out: D1, D2(+LOD), D3(+Exp packs), and D2Rez. Played all the warcrafts RTS's and WoW. Played SC1/SC2. I refuse to even download and try Diablo Immoral. F ActiBliz... They've lost my business

I'm a huge diablo fan. I've played every game as they came out: D1, D2(+LOD), D3(+Exp packs), and D2Rez. Played all the warcrafts RTS's and WoW. Played SC1/SC2. I refuse to even download and try Diablo Immoral. F ActiBliz... They've lost my business

Pay 2 win sucks, really bad. But you are missing out on a fun game with more to do than D3. Something to do until D4 hits...and I have not spent a dime, never will on this game.

The problem is that the game is actually fun. They made a good game that's been completely ruined by P2W. One of the reasons that their monetization has been so successful is that is that underneath it is a fun game

I may miss out on some fun (and short lived before paywall) content - but I'm voting and influencing how I can, by banning the game from my devices

There is no paywall...and my using their resources/servers to play a free game and not spending a dime is also a vote that some pc gamers will not spend on P2W and just want a normal paid for game. So I'm voting and influencing how I can as well, but you do you.

I’ve played every single Diablo game in the past, and I can say that Diablo 3 is already losing my interest. It’s sad that you basically need to pay for things like more storage and more character slots. And to be honest, the game is getting very boring since a new season means if you want to keep a strong character, then you must go with the “flavour of the season”, I.e. specific characters and specific sets, in order to maintain a strong character. The always online requirement is also a pain because the servers are not the most stable and you can’t play on some days due to scheduled maintenance. Now with Diablo “Immoral”, they have 2 up the pain by asking their loyal players to (1) pay for (2) loot boxes where the probability of getting something good is stacked against you. So no thank you Activision Blizzard. They should be thankful that Microsoft is willing to pay a steep premium for a game developer/ studio that is going downhill really quickly.

I agree with fps4ever. What does it mean to "win" in Diablo? Is it to complete the base story and be able to do the daily tasks? In my experience, that can be done just fine in Immortal without spending a red cent. I'm having fun doing it. The regular drops are enabling me to do what I want. The game is fun. The game that way is not PTW.
If winning for you is ratcheting up the difficulty levels, competing on the leaderboards, and getting the highest level of gems...well, yes, then you will pay dearly. But choosing that route is purely self-inflicted. The game is fun without going that way - the campaign can be completed. Paying just for pride and then whining about it...well, I at least, have no sympathy.

I agree with fps4ever. What does it mean to "win" in Diablo? Is it to complete the base story and be able to do the daily tasks? In my experience, that can be done just fine in Immortal without spending a red cent. I'm having fun doing it. The regular drops are enabling me to do what I want. The game is fun. The game that way is not PTW.
If winning for you is ratcheting up the difficulty levels, competing on the leaderboards, and getting the highest level of gems...well, yes, then you will pay dearly. But choosing that route is purely self-inflicted. The game is fun without going that way - the campaign can be completed. Paying just for pride and then whining about it...well, I at least, have no sympathy.
It would have been fine and all if not for the fact that good portion of the game focuses on the PvP aspect of it. And the PvE content is clearly time gated with weird difficulty spikes towards the end that can be bypassed by... you guessed it... paying.

The entire game is built around mtx and it shows. What a way to ruin your game and reputation...

It would have been fine and all if not for the fact that good portion of the game focuses on the PvP aspect of it. And the PvE content is clearly time gated with weird difficulty spikes towards the end that can be bypassed by... you guessed it... paying.

The entire game is built around mtx and it shows. What a way to ruin your game and reputation...

That's because its a "mobile" game, like all the rest. You can bypass most of that crap by playing the pc version and ignoring the P2W crud...

There is a huge paywall since you can't use the Resonance system at all without paying.
Don't use the Resonance system. It is an endgame mechanic. By the time someone is strongly tempted to use it, they are hours into the game and its systems already.
If not using the system makes it feel unfairly P2W...I can understand that.
On the other hand, one can enjoy a decent game, play hours until they feel they can't proceed without paying, and then simply drop the game and move on. No harm, no foul. I got out of it what I wanted.

Don't use the Resonance system. It is an endgame mechanic. By the time someone is strongly tempted to use it, they are hours into the game and its systems already.
If not using the system makes it feel unfairly P2W...I can understand that.
On the other hand, one can enjoy a decent game, play hours until they feel they can't proceed without paying, and then simply drop the game and move on. No harm, no foul. I got out of it what I wanted.
Jeez, are you really defending ability to do gem socketing for $15+ per try. This doesn't even include gems. Keep it up, support them and let see how far the industry can sink.

Jeez, are you really defending ability to do gem socketing for $15+ per try. This doesn't even include gems. Keep it up, support them and let see how far the industry can sink.

Just to clarify, I've never payed to socket gems. I've socketed all the legendary gems I can in my character, also upgraded and even crafted some. All without paying a dime.

No, not at all. Had you read carefully, you would have seen that I am defending enjoying what is given to you without paying anything at all. Lots to enjoy without being a $15/try sucker.

It's so unfortunate - because the gameplay itself is very fun. Solid game, I enjoy the fact that they've tied everyone into servers for that extra social aspect running around.

But the microtransaction piece utterly destroyed the game. They took something with so much potential and blew it all up for greed. The polar opposite of what old Blizzard North was. Such a sad decline of a once legendary developer.

Pay 2 win sucks, really bad. But you are missing out on a fun game with more to do than D3. Something to do until D4 hits...and I have not spent a dime, never will on this game.

Like the guy, I'm a hardcore diablo fan for the last 20+ years. And you know what, Project Diablo 2 beats the crap out of every official diablo game. Even if it didn't exist there are so many other quality arpgs to play until D4 hits (assuming its gonna be any good, I don't have any faith left), like Grim Dawn and Last Epoch (Path of Exile is crap nowadays imho).

Like the guy, I'm a hardcore diablo fan for the last 20+ years. And you know what, Project Diablo 2 beats the crap out of every official diablo game. Even if it didn't exist there are so many other quality arpgs to play until D4 hits (assuming its gonna be any good, I don't have any faith left), like Grim Dawn and Last Epoch (Path of Exile is crap nowadays imho).

I consider Grim Dawn the best of the best...POE I couldn't get into for some reason. Play what you like but if you want a new Diablo universe game this is it for now. Waiting for a sale on D2+ since I've already played the crap out of the game.

That's because its a "mobile" game, like all the rest. You can bypass most of that crap by playing the pc version and ignoring the P2W crud...
you can't "avoid" anything. it's the same on PC as it is on mobile. The game is full cross-platform with cross-progression.

the only way to avoid it is to do zero pvp and to just grind the end game for small crappy upgrades to your gear.

you can't "avoid" anything. it's the same on PC as it is on mobile. The game is full cross-platform with cross-progression.

the only way to avoid it is to do zero pvp and to just grind the end game for small crappy upgrades to your gear.

I'm still getting good upgrades at P67...I'm avoiding the P2W stuff just fine. In D3 you hit an upgrade wall as well. Nothing out of the ordinary. The only wall I've hit so far is secondary slot gem upgrades, which are not that essential as the legendary slots character items...but do tell.

Most people dont like torturing themselves with P2W game mechanics, even if you can do it for “free”.
Most people dont like torturing themselves with P2W game mechanics, even if you can do it for “free”.
DI doesn't seem "torturing". I haven't paid for anything and am happily grinding along. Where P2W gets torturing, IMHO, is PVP. But DI has a pretty good PVE story line and you can do some co-op stuff too. It's something to do until the next best thing comes along.

If you're paying to get through PVE, then that's on you. You might as well pay a friend to play through the hard parts if you're going pay to win.

P2W in PVP is no fun, in my book.

Back