Diablo IV takes the franchise in a darker direction

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Highly anticipated: Diablo Game Director Luis Barriga said there will be a playable demo of the game at this year’s BlizzCon featuring the barbarian, sorceress and druid at playable characters. This means we’ll likely get some feedback from those with boots on the ground real soon.

Blizzard during the opening ceremony of its annual BlizzCon convention in Anaheim on Friday officially unveiled Diablo IV.

Most expected the unveiling would take place at last year’s gathering and according to some sources, that was indeed the plan. At the 11th hour, however, Blizzard decided to hold off on the announcement for whatever reason and instead reveal a mobile game called Diablo Immortal – a move that only further exasperated attendees and fans around the globe.

Diablo Immortal is still in production for Android and iOS with no set release date.

Blizzard wasted little time in giving fans exactly what they wanted. After a brief apology of its recent handling of the Hong Kong protest, we jumped right into an extended cinematic scene that set the stage of what was to come.

Diablo IV is a much darker take on the franchise. It’ll be set in Sanctuary as well as a “dark and medieval version of Hell.” In the first gameplay trailer, we got a much better look of what to expect and boy does it look good.

Diablo IV will be available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. A launch date wasn’t provided although considering there is a playable demo at BlizzCon, one has to think that a final version isn’t too far out. Furthermore, the fact that it is coming to PS4 and Xbox One – consoles that are at the end of their lifecycles – is further evidence that Diablo IV should be ready sooner rather than later.

It’s not too late to take part in BlizzCon 2019, even if you aren’t in Anaheim. The BlizzCon Virtual Ticket lets you join the party from the comfort of your own home. With it, you’ll get access to developer interviews and insights, panels from three stages, commemorative loot and more. Expect to pay $49.99 for the two-day opportunity.

Permalink to story.

The feral druid looks sick, but unfortunately I hated 3 so it's not likely I'll be picking this up until its in the bargain bin.

Yes! Looks like they learned from Grim Dawn and Path of Exile, Diablo is returning to its dark and gloomy roots! I'm excited. :)

FFS!
Diablo 4 looks like a piece of garbage from 2010.
I'am more disappointed then I was for D3!
For me Blizz is dead -.- rip
FREE HONG KONG!!!

Last edited:
Looks like its going back to its roots after the animated D3. Why isn't it coming on next gen consoles though? With full ray tracing it'd look even more glorious!

In-game footage looked no better than what I remember in Reaper of Souls, and they're limiting you to 3 classes... like the original Diablo lol.

D2 and D3 both started with 5 or 6 classes, and added more later. Honestly don't get how taking fun class options away in a newer game is a good thing in their minds.

In-game footage looked no better than what I remember in Reaper of Souls, and they're limiting you to 3 classes... like the original Diablo lol.

D2 and D3 both started with 5 or 6 classes, and added more later. Honestly don't get how taking fun class options away in a newer game is a good thing in their minds.

My guess is there going to be sold as DLC

I gave up on a good sequel to d2 a long time ago. 8 player, pvp etc etc. It's done, blizzard just doesn't make the those type of games anymore.

If its a wow clone... wont touch it... if you cant play single player offline wont touch it... and sorry wont touch it after the hong kong ****... to hell with blizzard.

WoW clone? How the **** could you even come to this conclusion. Also, in todays age, I doubt it will have an offline mode.

OT:
The game looks ****ing ****. I reckon it's due to focusing on mobile first.

WoW clone? How the **** could you even come to this conclusion. Also, in todays age, I doubt it will have an offline mode.

OT:
The game looks ****ing ****. I reckon it's due to focusing on mobile first.
What did you think diablo 3 was? a complete wow clone. Also most single-player games have offline modes.

Diablo 3 was an abomination of the name. The always online-requirement, the now-defunct auction house, the constantly game changing patches, the lack of night and day cycles, the loss of random level design...and many other trash associated with the gameplay.

I bought that sorry excuse for Diablo world the day it was released - fully boxed and all, and regretted ever since. I then tried to sell off the boxed copy for those who would like to get the box for collection or replacement or backup DVD. Then Blizzard somehow linked my eBay account to the Battle.net and deactivated it and sent me an email. (I wonder if they have a team monitoring their IPs at eBay.) Saying I tried to make money by reselling the game. I clearly stated in the eBay description that I have already activated the game using the provided serial number and can't be used for activating the game and the boxed copy is being sold for completion or backup or replacement sake.

Diablo fame and gameplay died with Diablo 2 + LoD. The good people who initially defined what Blizzard stood for are no longer present or corrupted or enslaved by the corporate mentality-transformed management and administrative crew.

Last edited:
I played and loved every single Diablo game ON PC so far. I am really keen to get my hands on this new release. Any hints on a release date from Blizzcon?

I have to admit I am a little surprised about all the whining in this thread. Cheer up folks and enjoy that we are getting a new Diablo game, otherwise you have a lot of other options to play with if you don't like the idea.
Last time when Diablo Immortal was announced many complained that they expected Diablo 4. Now we have it and still masses are whining.

Last edited:
Looks like a week 1 purchase for me.

I was never a hardcore diablo player and D3 was decent enough for a time waster when I just wanted to end alot of monster lives.

makes sense its gonna hit the current systems, they have massive player bases, a later probably goty version will the next gen ones.

What did you think diablo 3 was? a complete wow clone. Also most single-player games have offline modes.

Diablo is nothing like World of Warcraft. It's aimed at an older audience, the gameplay is different, it's game perspective is different. even the gaming mechanics are different.

My advice to gamers is to not compare games to thier predecessors as you will always find yourself disappointed. I lost many hours of my life playing D1 and D2 (Oddly I do not regret this lol!). D3 definitely did not compare to those childhood games, I didn't expect it to. But I still put a lot of hours into it and I really enjoyed it for what it was.. What I always tell myself is; "If this was the first game in the franchise... would I have found it utterly amazing?" - I'd say a big fat yes.

In todays world its not the first game. All your doing is giving urself illusions.
You could say that to any game and buy/play them all.
Games should go up in quality without being nerfed down.
Til today I still think d2 as 1 of the best rpgs around. 8 players+pvp etc.. +all what has been mentioned. +All ingame items could have been used on anychar to make almost any build.
But now in D3(probably D4 aswel ) every char has its own best items... no 8 player, shitty skill trees, no stats etc.. *(havent seen any of them)
I almost thought PoE was the new D2 for me but its just as bad D3. only PvM. yeah some cool stuff but you can only duel in "SAFE" arena and thats just as pointless as PvM.
I'm starting to think I need to start making my own rpg game -.-

Back