TechSpot

Did Google CEO just hint at an unbreakable Motorola 'X Phone'?

By Shawn Knight
Jan 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. During a recent earnings call, Google GEO Larry Page hinted at the possibility that the next phone from the search giant might be unbreakable. He also pointed out that battery life is a huge issue and that there is real...

Read more
  2. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,010   +150

"X Phone say it will be marketed to compete with Apple?s iPhone and Samsung?s Galaxy S III".
    too bad, if rumors are to be believed, samsung is planning to release s4 on april 15th, 2013.
    I wonder when iphone 5s is to be released.
  3. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 633   +60

No emphasis on OEM's feelings and if Google would hurt them by doing this?
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,065   +704

yeah, exactly... Google better get news out before April 15th or they'll miss out on a lot business.

I imagine they'll say the same thing MS said when it's partners were upset about the Surface. "Tough beans"
    gibbstar likes this.
  5. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 633   +60

I wasn't talking to Google. I think Google has the right and very well should make phones if they can make them better than the competition. Battery life needs to be improved and the more phones coming out with wireless charging the better. I want those prices to drop badly and possibly get shops to adopt them.

The point is every article was talking about how MS was being a bad guy and stepping on their innocent OEMs toes for making the surface.
  6. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Nothing is "unbreakable". The best they can hope for is "damage resistant". As for the battery life.....what do ppl expect? Most moble phone batteries run at 3.7V. Litterally only .7 higher then a pair of AA batteries. The battery has to power everything in the phone from processor to LCD screen. It can only do so much. What we need is a company to make better batteries for moble devices. I can get about a day just using my Iphone for making calls, but if I want to play on my phone, I only get about 2 hrs of play then I have to charge it.
    Google may be making the right move by bringing out a phone and tablet. But the best move they could make that would make them extremly rich is to bring out a better battery.
    gibbstar likes this.
  7. dotVezz

dotVezz TS Enthusiast Posts: 117

This is true, although (and don't quote me, I'm no electrical engineer) I'm pretty sure that delivered voltage is only a piece of the battery-life puzzle.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.