TechSpot

Difference between Athlon & Sempron?

By N-Guy
Jul 8, 2006
  1. I have a 754 socket motherboard sitting around - I got extra parts to get it going except a CPU. I was just curious what the difference between Sempron & Athlon performance wise?

Thanks.

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

3. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

semprons are Athlon64s with a smaller L2 cache.

also, the older socket-754 semprons had the 64 bit instruction set disabled

you may also get confused because they made semprons for socket-A and socket-754. the socket-A models were just "renamed" full performance AthlonXPs, while the socket-754 models were crippled Athlon64s.

BTW, there are no "athlons" for socket-754. the "athlon" is an old ~1GHz socket-A processor, the models since the athlon include AthlonXP and Athlon64

to be honest unless you can get a processor for really cheap, then you may want to consider going socket-939 instead. if you have all the other parts, then you can get a socket939 processer for less the $100 bucks brand new and a mobo for another $60 (instead of spending $150 on a s-754 processor alone which won't perform as well as s-939)... even cheaper on ebay. just something to consider

good luck :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.